ET change going from cowl hood to hood with snorkel scoop.

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
Re: ET change going from cowl hood to hood with snorkel scoo

LS6 Tommy said:
Now I'm REALLY confused. If nothing changes other than the hood, the carb height is the same. There's no excuse to not use the same pan and air cleaner. Use some imagination...it can ALWAYS work...

Tommy

Tommy, I fabricate for a living, I think I have plenty of imagination. Apparently you haven't seen the setups I have.

I'm not wasting any more time trying to explain it.

And again, nobody I know uses air cleaners on drag cars with forward facing scoops or rear facing air pans on cowl hoods.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey

Hey, 10 sec, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound insulting. I re-read your post about the differences & I get what you're saying now. I just meant that it should be relatively easy to come up with a sealed pan that would allow swapping hoods without changing anything else. Sometimes the way I see things in my head aren't quite the same as reality. :lol: As for not running an air cleaner, whatever works is fine by me. You guys know I never mean to imply that my way is the only correct way. I just post the info that I have found over time to work best for me. I've always seen a power increase with at least the bottom tin from a good drop base air cleaner, even without a filter. That being said, if it won't fit with a scoop, it really does kind of make it hard to use one. #-o The aero with a forward facing scoop may just make the carb work better than what you'd gain from a drop base bottom anyway.

Tommy

rock

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Chicagoland area

Can we get some pics?

JOHNWOJO

Frequent Racer
Jun 8, 2009
New Jersey

I don't have any pics but I will describe the pan for the snorkel hood. I cheated I used a 14" air cleaner drop base then contact cemented foam around the outside and trimmed to fit. Foam sits up inside snorkel base and seats against bottom of where the snorkel base mounts to the snorkel top.

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD

airpan_zpsaeeaa4eb.jpg

5" Glasstek cowl hood with air pan.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey

That's a beaut! Even if I had any fab skills I wouldn't do it any differently.

Tommy

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD

Missing the side skirts to seal off the side to the cowl hood. I added those after this pic was taken.

JOHNWOJO

Frequent Racer
Jun 8, 2009
New Jersey

10secBu very nice.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts