ET change going from cowl hood to hood with snorkel scoop.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Re: ET change going from cowl hood to hood with snorkel scoo

Those are very impressive gains just from a hood swap.

JOHNWOJO

Frequent Racer
Jun 8, 2009
New Jersey

Ed the time between the 10.50 run and the 10.36 run was about 5 minutes. Lol after run pulled up to trailer ripped 1 hood and air pan off and put the other set up on and back into lanes. Wasn't supposed to hot lap but they thought I was different car.

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa

That is about what my friend found on his mid 9 sec AMX. I refuse to change the look of my car but I believe a scoop change would put mine into the 8's with it.

JOHNWOJO

Frequent Racer
Jun 8, 2009
New Jersey

I know what you mean bracketchev. Love the way mine looks with cowl. But I will run whatever gets me the best performance.

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa

For me, as much as I want the car to go faster, I still will be getting the head start. :(

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD

LS6 Tommy said:
If you can set things up so you use the same exact airpan/filter with both hoods, then you can run back-to-back & compare numbers.

Tommy

Impossible to have the same air pan setup for forward facing scoop vs cowl hood/rear facing pan.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey

10secBu said:
LS6 Tommy said:
If you can set things up so you use the same exact airpan/filter with both hoods, then you can run back-to-back & compare numbers.

Tommy

Impossible to have the same air pan setup for forward facing scoop vs cowl hood/rear facing pan.

Unless I'm not understanding you, I can't see that. Just use the same air cleaner in the same overall size box sealed right to the bottom of the hood...

Tommy

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD

LS6 Tommy said:
10secBu said:
LS6 Tommy said:

Tommy

Unless I'm not understanding you, I can't see that. Just use the same air cleaner in the same overall size box sealed right to the bottom of the hood...

Tommy

I've built many both ways and not one used an air cleaner.

The carb height vs the hood line is different between a cowl hood and a lower hood with a forward facing scoop. My car the carb is within 2 1/2" of the cowl hood and that is a 5" cowl. A flat hood with a forward facing scoop the car will stick way out of the hood and be up inside the scoop.

A forward facing scoop usually isn't wide enough to fit a 14" air cleaner anyway. Take a look at how a big scoop air pan is done vs the cowl hood rear facing pan and you will understand what I'm saying here.

Unless you have a mild small block with a carb that fits under a flat hood you will not be able to make the same air pan fit both.

JOHNWOJO

Frequent Racer
Jun 8, 2009
New Jersey

I could not use same pan.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey

Now I'm REALLY confused. If nothing changes other than the hood, the carb height is the same. There's no excuse to not use the same pan and air cleaner. Use some imagination...it can ALWAYS work...

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts