ET change going from cowl hood to hood with snorkel scoop.

JOHNWOJO

Frequent Racer
Jun 8, 2009
New Jersey
Back to back tests at ATCO on black Friday. 6" cowl hood run was the following 6.64 @ 102.78 1/8, 10.50 @ 126.13. Came back to pits swapped out the cowl hood for a hood with a mini snorkel scoop the first run after hood swap was 6.54 @ 104.40 1/8, 10.35 @ 127.39, next run 6.53 @ 104.15 1/8, 10.36 @ 126.71, last run 6.52 @ 104.30 1/8, 10.34 @ 127.07. Do these results seem to sound normal? Thanx for any replys or comments good or bad JOHN. Oh all runs are footbeaking leaving at 2500 rpms, shifting at 7200 crossing the stripe at 7400.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Re: ET change going from cowl hood to hood with snorkel scoo

The results are what they are, it's not a matter of being "typical". Run what works best. My experience is a cowl style hood usually is a teeny bit faster. In trying to dissect the results, the questions that come to mind are:

1. Are the scoops sealed to the air cleaner?
2. If so, do both scoops use the same air cleaner pan, filter & seal setup?
3. Do you run inner fenders?

Tommy

JOHNWOJO

Frequent Racer
Jun 8, 2009
New Jersey

No inner fenders. 2 different air pans. Both are hood specific and seal to hood with foam. No filter on either. I am putting on inner fenders for the spring.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey

Unless all the intake parts are identical the numbers are skewed. My guess is the improvement with the snorkel may be more from the air cleaner base than anything else. It makes a bigger difference than you would think. Running a flat pan instead of a complete air cleaner is a no-no. You almost always get better power with a good one than without one altogether. Snorkels can sometimes cause carb turbulence, especially without an air cleaner, but they always have more aero drag than a cowl.

Since you don't run inner fenders if the scoops weren't sealed I would risk the statement that the snorkel may reduce the underhood turbulence better than the cowl, but since you seal the scoops, it's probably not a factor.

Tommy

JOHNWOJO

Frequent Racer
Jun 8, 2009
New Jersey

So what would you recommend for my testing in the spring? I already reinstalled the inner fenders for the spring. Motor ran 9.86 135 in my vega wagon that was 2810 with me in it. The Malibu wagon if the scales were right weighed 3280 with me in it. Same scales used for both cars.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey

If you can set things up so you use the same exact airpan/filter with both hoods, then you can run back-to-back & compare numbers.

Tommy

JOHNWOJO

Frequent Racer
Jun 8, 2009
New Jersey

Thanx for the advice tommy. ill see what I can do in the spring. I put it away for the winter.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey

No problem. Some "hard liners" would argue all night that the snorkel is no good, gotta run a cowl, blah, blah, blah. If that's what gives you the best ET & MPH, go for it!

Tommy

454RAT

Pro Stocker
Mar 19, 2004
Summerville, SC

LS6 Tommy said:
No problem. Some "hard liners" would argue all night that the snorkel is no good, gotta run a cowl, blah, blah, blah. If that's what gives you the best ET & MPH, go for it!

Tommy

Pretty sure Todd (10secBu) is going with a snorkel for next year.

JOHNWOJO

Frequent Racer
Jun 8, 2009
New Jersey

Would rather run the cowl hood, the car looks much better. But if the ugly snorkel hood makes it perform better so be it. Thanx guys. Still open to any other thoughts to try in the spring.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts