Crank Trigger and Digital 7 boxes

ILLEGAL REGAL

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jan 1, 2005
Tinley Park,IL
I'm glad you know how to mess with this.. many more questions to come :?

All I did was open the box and got confused... way tooooooo many wires :lol:

McFly

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
Evansville, IN
ILLEGAL REGAL™ said:
I'm glad you know how to mess with this.. many more questions to come :?

All I did was open the box and got confused... way tooooooo many wires :lol:

X2

I have the 7531. It has enough wires on it to run the space shuttle.

Scott

A

Anonymous

Jackstand said:
how much timing are yo going to run total?

I was running 30 at idle so with no retards is the box i would set my balncer at 30 and then find the closest magnet and then adjust the pickup

hear is a video.. except i used 30 insted of 50

http://www.fuelairspark.com/Products/Documentation/XFI/Help/video/crktriginst.wmv

So you are running less than 30 degrees timing????
Whats the best way to set initial phaseing? Best way to tuning phase? Do I have to cut up a perfectly good cap?

Thanks! :)

Doug Keen

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Central, Illinois
Yes you have to ruin a perfectly good cap to properly phase the rotor. MSD has a nice video on their website on how to phase, it is in the magneto section. Did you try rotating the wheel on the balancer to get it to come out better. I know it made a difference on my BBC, depending on how you had the wheel bolted to the balancer, it would affect your initial timing range.(Hopefully that was the question you were trying to ask) I don't use(or have a need for) the MSD Digital box, but I do use a Mallory Digital VIIC which has a standalone controller which is very simple and user friendly.

A

Anonymous

Going for a long post here... For future reference maybe this will help with questions...
MSD_TREE.jpg

A

Anonymous

Doug Keen said:
Yes you have to ruin a perfectly good cap to properly phase the rotor. MSD has a nice video on their website on how to phase, it is in the magneto section. Did you try rotating the wheel on the balancer to get it to come out better. I know it made a difference on my BBC, depending on how you had the wheel bolted to the balancer, it would affect your initial timing range.(Hopefully that was the question you were trying to ask) I don't use(or have a need for) the MSD Digital box, but I do use a Mallory Digital VIIC which has a standalone controller which is very simple and user friendly.

Yes I rotated it and checked all the positions where it lined up. 45 works out nice as the adjustment on the pickup is centered and not too low where anything I may run over would get tossed up and whack it. I can pull out 10 with the 1st step retard and get a base of 35 after -20 cranking (<800). At least thats how I see it at this point in time.... The way this box works is just weird.. I will check the video. For what this stuff cost the least MSD could do is include a cap to phase with...
Thanks!

Jackstand

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 6, 2003
KANSAS CITY, MO
depending on what dist. you have, i have a crank trigger dist that uses a ford mustang cap. if thats what your using you can buy a cheapie at the auto parts store to cut open.

Yea im only running 30* and and i retard it about 6-8* on my boosted motor

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts