2 fusible links at starter

HP JUNKEY

Dragway Regular
Oct 30, 2008
Buffalo.NY
Have not been on here or doin the car thing in a while, Health issues, but anyways,
When my SBC in my Malibu gets "hot", 200-210 degrees after shut down, my starter will just "click" :x :x curse_sign.gif . After it cools down for 20-30 minutes it turns over fine.
The starter is a 1yr old mini Powermaster, I have wraped the headers all the way down to the collector, wraped the starter, and the harness going to the starter. This is my second solonoid also. The first solonoid just quit, now this one is acting funny.
My question is: looking on the wiring diagram, there are 2 fusible links that are down by the stater, are they necessary or could they be eliminated? The wires that come out of them are really "flimsy, soft", I am thinking that when they get hot the voltage problem, I think I have, is occuring from them. Any help would be great!!

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
You could remove them. They are there in case of a short it will pop the fuse before starting a fire. Before you remove them i would run a splice above the fuse someware and run a new wire to the starter and see if fuses are the problem.

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
You would be better off installing a remote solenoid. Easy to do and will solve your problem. This is a common condition when running headers on a Chevy. Lee

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
no need to eliminate those links (just asking for a problem) the best thing to do would be a volt drop test from the battery to start terminal on the relay and see what your losing and then trace it to where the greatest drop is. but the problem is likely the starter solenoid.

6spdmalibu

Amateur Racer
Jun 25, 2009
Vancouver BC
Would be a good idea to wrap the starter with a good quality heat shield material.
Had a similar problem, but the solenoid never worked after the heat soaking. Replaced it and put a heat shield mat around it with 2 large hose clamps. Never had the problem since.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Removing them won't change a thing with the hot start problem. They don't feed power to the starter, they feed power from the starter to the rest of the car. If your wiring is stock & you remove them, not much will work-your accessories, lights, gauges, ignition switch...

Tommy

HP JUNKEY

Dragway Regular
Oct 30, 2008
Buffalo.NY
Just got back from a well deserved vacation, After consulting wiring diagram on here, Tommy, you are correct, they feed power out to the rest of the vehicle. Not going to mess with them. I wrapped the starter with a heat wrap and problem is still there.
LEE, can you give me some info on the remote solenoid???, what kind to use and how to hook it up? Obviously the one on the starter has to stay put to kick out the gear, Correct? It seems easy to hook up but I just can't picture it in my head. Thanks guys!

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Lookieheer:

http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/st-1.shtml

& here:

http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/solenoid.htm

Tommy

HP JUNKEY

Dragway Regular
Oct 30, 2008
Buffalo.NY
Thanks Tommy, I have been calling Madelectrical for a hour 8-[ and its been busy, i will keep trying and order their kit!!
Thanks a bunch :D

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
HP junkey, Tommy did you right, that's what you need. I didn't buy a kit because I rewired my car from scratch so I just got a Ford solenoid and wired it accordingly. Lee

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts