Which spark plugs?

glenh

Amateur Racer
Mar 14, 2008
Olive Hill,Ky
What plugs would you guys recommend?The engine is a 355 10-1,Vortec heads and I'm gonna spray somewhere around 250 on it.

I dunno how this setup is gonna work out-I'm trying two plates,stacked,for a two stage system.Both are NOS Super Power Shot systems.Would you recommend a small spacer between the plates(such as a 1/4 inch gasket),to seperate the spray bars a little?

Also,what kinda fuel pressure should I run at the solenoids?I'm gonna use a complete stand alone fuel system,just to supply the solenoids.

Thanks for any input,
Glen

Bad Medicine Racing

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2010
Grove Oak, AL
Now where is Robert when you need him...

glenh

Amateur Racer
Mar 14, 2008
Olive Hill,Ky
Dang,I guess this was a tough question,LOL.Granted,I don't know what I need or I wouldn'ta asked here,but I figured some a you nitrous gurus woulda had something to offer,LOL.

Bad Medicine Racing

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2010
Grove Oak, AL
Well, when I was using nitrous I think I used an AC plug with a 43 heat range. I have since changed to other forms of adding power and I am now using NGK plugs with an 8 heat range. As far a spacers go, I don't know about that but I guess I would try it without it first and check the plugs. Fuel pressure...If your kit uses a smaller nitrous jet and larger fuel jet it is intended for around 7psi fuel pressure. If it is a newer kit with the jets the same size it is for around 10psi fuel pressure.

glenh

Amateur Racer
Mar 14, 2008
Olive Hill,Ky
I have no idea how old the kits I'm planning on using are.They appear near new looks wise,but one of them did have the paperwork still with it,and I remember seeing a chart in there that showed a different size jet for the n2o side and the fuel side.They are NOS Super Power Shot systems.

Appreciate the reply.I do need some sort of a starting point.

Glen

Bad Medicine Racing

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2010
Grove Oak, AL
For the record, in my opinion AC plugs are junk. Many people like Autolite plugs, but I prefer NGK. Just remember that with nitrous, the devil is in the tune. Start conservative, keep a check on your plugs, and sneak up on the tune. Running too rich does not kill pistons. There is a thread in the "Advanced Technical" section here about reading plugs, give it a look if you have never read plugs before.

glenh

Amateur Racer
Mar 14, 2008
Olive Hill,Ky
I appreciate it.I do know the basics of reading a plug-I know a light brown or tan color and dry is considered about as good as you can get,but I really don't know a lot about it beyond that.
I definately plan to start conservative-I'm gonna put 50 hp jets in both kits and work up!
I like the AC plugs ok in a driver,but I have to agree on the Autolites for performance.

Glen

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
For plugs look at NGK's they are very easy to read. (heat in the strap)
Autolites are slightly more durable but a little harder to read the heat.

If you're only going for a small shot just use one plate. I am not a fan of stacking plates.

Fuel side of the nitrous should have is own regulator separate of the carb.
A separate pump and cell would be fine as well.

You did not say want fuel you are using?

DFWMalibu

Dragway Regular
Dec 15, 2006
Dallas,Tx
autolite 103's are 2 steps colder than stock...

glenh

Amateur Racer
Mar 14, 2008
Olive Hill,Ky
Robert1320 said:
For plugs look at NGK's they are very easy to read. (heat in the strap)
Autolites are slightly more durable but a little harder to read the heat.

If you're only going for a small shot just use one plate. I am not a fan of stacking plates.

Fuel side of the nitrous should have is own regulator separate of the carb.
A separate pump and cell would be fine as well.

You did not say want fuel you are using?

I'm planning eventually to work it up to around 100 hp on the first and 175-200 on the second,if it works out.I dunno if thats considered a small shot or not-this is all new to me!
I am gonna run a complete seperate fuel system for the kits-a 1 gallon cell under the hood with a Blue pump,filter,reg.,etc.
I'll probably be running 93 in the car as it should be just about 10-1 comp,but I thought about running 110 or so in the 1 gal cell.

Any thoughts or suggestions on that?

Glen

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts