What should I use?

El Camino Junkie

Amateur Racer
Apr 15, 2007
WALTERS, OK
The problem with the El Caminos is that while there are a few more of them around, there are no parts for them either. I have been looking for a good header panel for mine for about a year now, and I guess I am goingt o have to break down and order a new one. I hate spending that much money on it, but I have found 2 82-87 Em Caminos in the salvage yard within 100 miles of my home. All of them that were out there have been crushed, or gutted, and there is nothing left of them.

A

Anonymous

skayser2, if I use the zero rust, we'll have to take it back down to metal to do body work right? I might go with that. I'm only going to use it where i already stripped, then the rest I'm just sprayin a cheap primer on it to get a solid color on the car.

Figured no use doing twice the work in stripping it down now and just have to take it back down again to do the body work.

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
KC2006....This is what Rick at RestoRick emailed me after my question about Zero Rust along the same line of questioning.

Hi Steve,

After that long of a dry time you should be in pretty good shape.
I've scuffed the ZR and used body filler over it. (When it's that dry).
After getting the filler were you want, I'd give it a coat or two
of epoxy primer. After this you can use filler primer if needed or
go right to a basecoat & clear.
The only time I've seen a lifting problem is if it's recoated between
24hrs. and a couple weeks.

Rick

Hope this helps answer your question

westexun

Frequent Racer
Dec 27, 2008
There's no way I would put body filler over that stuff. I've heard you can put it over epoxy primer but I don't like to do that either. I smoothed and painted a frame for a friend a while back and someone had put filler over epoxy and I could lift it with air pressure, blow it right off. Try to get filler off of bare metal with any kind of a scratch on it. I don't think the epoxy was roughed up and probably was put there after the recoat window. Go over to autobody101.com and look around for the correct procedures on this stuff. Also you can look at the tech sheets for the products you're gonna use.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts