Wagon Build.... LSX w/ single turbo

A

Anonymous

There is a new class starting up by me that is a 10.20 class. Capped e.t. Rules are pretty simple. Lights/horn/registered, 28" max tire dot or drag radial, stock suspension, no coil overs. Simple class. Some decent payouts considering the simplicity of it. 8 races over the year. Anyways, I had picked up a '93 T/A to build up, but a buddy had this car laying around so decided to build this. Just easier to work on overall and I always wanted one. So here is my DOO DOO brown :) haha

6503898491_ORIG.jpg

6503898569_ORIG.jpg

6503898661_ORIG.jpg

So into the garage it went.... getting stripped down in the engine compartment as well as the interior for Ron to do the cage.

DSC00165.jpg

DSC00170.jpg

Dirty as hell....

DSC00172.jpg

This is how you get engine mounts off!!! Burn the sh*t, haha.

DSC00176.jpg

DSC00183.jpg

DSC00182.jpg

Getting the heater core and A/C box out...

DSC00181.jpg

Old gas tank area...

DSC00185.jpg

DSC00180.jpg

A

Anonymous

Re: Wagon Build....

Then time to start stripping the interior... Suprisingly the floors were pretty damn solid.

DSC00188.jpg

DSC00189.jpg

Cutting holes for the cage

DSC00187.jpg

But of course, I had to pick this up only because I always thought a wagon with a cowl hood would be awesome, haha.

DSC00216.jpg

DSC00234.jpg

DSC00233.jpg

malibuhood1.jpg

malibuhood2.jpg

A

Anonymous

So here will be the powerplant.

6.0L truck long block - $400 w/ coils to manifolds to pan

We just stripped it down to inspect. Everything looked good. Not bad for a 100k mile engine, haha. With how cheap you can find some of these truck longblocks, especially in the 5.3L variety, decision was made to just toss it back together with some new gaskets and maybe some ARP head bolts at the most.

60L2.jpg

60L1.jpg

60L3.jpg

60L4.jpg

60L6.jpg

60L7.jpg

Just cleaned it up roughly with the hone real quick. We'll see if it's workable without having to overbore it. Don't want to buy new pistons since I have all intentions of this blowing up, haha. It looks pretty bad in the photo, but I think it's just the lighting. It's still a smooth bore, haha.

60L8.jpg

Stock Piston:

60L9.jpg

Stock Rod:

60L10.jpg

Stock head after disassembly to take inventory of what's needed:

60L11.jpg

Little metal shavings are just cleaning up a lip that's right there on both intake/exhaust bowls.

And many have been consumed

beer.jpg

Overall plans at this point are to get the block hot tanked and get the heads cleaned up as well. I will be getting the heads and the deck surfaced to make sure everything is flat. Then work out the bearing issue and maybe some new piston rings? Who knows, it's just a junk setup and stock stuff looks fine.

A

Anonymous

New toys for it!!! YAY!!! Kinda at a stand still with this weather. I hate working out in the cold, but at some point I gotta realize we have less than 90 days left to finish it and get it out testing to make sure I could even hit 11.00, hahaha

DSC00296.jpg

New fuel pressure regulator:
DSC00298.jpg

Top view of carb:
DSC00297.jpg

I really have no ******* clue what to do with this thing though, hahahaha

What the hell is a jet? Nitrous jets I got a ton of them!

Thanks to Roger at C&S for building me this blow through carb!! Simple and effective :) Set up for e85

A

Anonymous

The fun toy...

DSC00238.jpg

First shot at a hoop, and it worked great... But Ron wanted to get it a bit tighter.

DSC00190.jpg

DSC00191.jpg

And then the second main hoop, and he definitely achieved that goal.

DSC00239.jpg

DSC00196.jpg

DSC00198.jpg

DSC00198.jpg

Then some more of the rear down bars. Best part about the down bars, is that cutting that first main hoop in half, made perfect rear bars, hahaha. No tubing was wasted in the making of this cage.

DSC00235.jpg

DSC00236.jpg

Now getting the the front halo since he was setting it up for the 10pt.

7.jpg

And the front down bars

DSC00243.jpg

It's good to have knowledgable friends. There's the '08 Pump Gas Drags winner in the background :) Good blow-thru advice for sure

DSC00249.jpg

DSC00248.jpg

DSC00252.jpg

DSC00263.jpg

DSC00264.jpg

DSC00266.jpg

Not quite fully welded in, but set up nicely...

DSC00270.jpg

A

Anonymous

Another HUUUUUGE thanks to Jim Plimpton(the guy in the photo in previous post) for doing the paint match on the cage. Yes, this IS the color I wanted it, hahaha. It was hard to match the paint to the shitty, faded, crappy plastic interior panels, but he did his best and it's awesome!

Since it is such a crappy car, Ron and I didn't really take the time to mask everything off well. Obviously when looking at the pics of Mark's Malibu you can see great care was taken on that one and I would say the paint on the bar is 100x's better than the paint on the actual CAR, ahha.

DSC00291.jpg

DSC00292.jpg

Jordan81

Pro Stocker
Feb 10, 2004
wichita, ks

if it end up looking like the pic in your sig, that would be so badass looking. kinda reminds me of copo's car and that super bad blue wagon with the 25.5 chassis... can't remember who built it

A

Anonymous

Now on to the engine mock up. We are still doing the LS1 stuff since it's what I know and it's what I had available like the previous photos show.

DSC00204.jpg

Just getting it sat in there and mocked up for the motor plate and mid plate

DSC00205.jpg

It's ALL the way back up against the firewall, hahaha. Only a smidge of room

DSC00206.jpg

DSC00207.jpg

DSC00208.jpg

DSC00209.jpg

DSC00210.jpg

DSC00211.jpg

Starting the midplate

DSC00221.jpg

DSC00222.jpg

DSC00223.jpg

Stock truck pan clearance

DSC00224.jpg

DSC00225.jpg

DSC00228.jpg

DSC00229.jpg

Funniest thing in the world...

DSC00230.jpg

Now you see it...

DSC00231.jpg

Now you don't....

DSC00232.jpg

Perfect fit, haha. Well had to trim a LITTLE bit

A

Anonymous

Jordan81 said:
if it end up looking like the pic in your sig, that would be so ###### looking. kinda reminds me of copo's car and that super bad blue wagon with the 25.5 chassis... can't remember who built it

I appreciate the compliment! It's gonna end up getting some clean up and painting and hopefully look like the rendering. That's the overall plan for it. Definitely doing the steelies on it :) hahaha

And yeah, NRC's wagon is pretty much a motivator on this one and a perfect example on how to do these. This one just won't be that fast, haha

A

Anonymous

now for the fun stuff....

A HUGE thanks to Ron's cousin (little J) for making up the flanges

DSC00240.jpg

DSC00260.jpg

DSC00242.jpg

DSC00294.jpg

I do need to pick up another set of manifolds as one of them is actually cracked. Just have to run up by bad cutt to get them!

This is just some mock up stuff just to see if it'd fit and what bends would be needed and how many.

turbo2.jpg

turbo1.jpg

DSC00261.jpg

Always wanted it like this, but don't know if it's actually going to end up there. Only because of space constraints as well as cooling since it'll be a "street" car.

DSC00262.jpg

Now this is as far as we have got. Haven't done much in the past month with work being a bit busy and it is WI and I don't have a heated garage like my buddy. Majority of the pics were taken in his back shop garage. Water heated floors are AWESOME in this -20* Wisconsin weather

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts