slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
When you have the cash to do it.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I may be wrong now, but back when I was more involved in drag racing I remember you built the engine specifically to run a vacuum pump with low tension rings. It wasn't an "add-on"...

Tommy

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
I say when you've maxed everything else out, you can try it. I still run regular valve cover breathers on my 540. I don't have $1000 to put something on and see no gains. If you are looking for hundreths, than go for it.

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
80superbu said:
not me. I'll be good with a crankcase evac system
This is what I have now. But I run alcohol and everyone says I need a pump. But right now I need the $1000 more.lol

Damon

Pro Stocker
Feb 7, 2005
Philly Area
I asked some guys who build really fast Mustangs abuot that a while back. It's pricey, sure. But when you're laying down really big bucks anyway the cost is not a big factor. Like Tommy said, the engine has to have certain things paid attention to before you use a vacuum pump. Rings and wrist pins requiring the most attention, apparently. Then you run it so the pump is basically trying to make the inside of the engine like outer space (as much vacuum as possible).

Doing a setup like that just to draw a few inches of vacuum is apparently not worth the effort/expense.

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
I use a moroso 4 vane enhanced pump system. The reasons i run one is more for better sealing and to keep any oil out of the chamber. I didnt see anygains out of the system but it keeps everything leak free.

Redline396

Amateur Racer
Oct 21, 2008
clifton, nj
i converted a mid 80's buick smog pump to make a vacume pump......pulled off the pully,sealed the intake opening,used a ford 6.25 pully,taped the outlet with half inch npt tap,drilled and taped tree eighths npt in the back of the case for suction,ran in line with air/oil seperator to valve cover and ran outlet to catch can.........at idle makes 10 hg.....at wot over 25hg.......so had to run vac. releive valve tee'd in on suction line at pump to limit vac. to 12 hg.........no problems so far........and a lot less than a vac. pump.........

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts