Turn signal gremlin..

A

Anonymous

I have a problem with my signals. The right turn signal light on the dash doesn't work. The bulbs are all good, both in the dash and in the front. The side markers work as well. As far as I can tell without pulling the instrument cluster, the clip for the light in the dash is making contact. But no Dash light. The grounds in the engine compartment are OK too and all the bulbs are the same brightness when flashing.

So now I am scratching my head. I have had a few Chevys that, when the dash light isn't working, it means that a bulb is burnt out (something I have always liked about Chevys), but not this time.

It's a small problem, I know, but I have everything else working in my '79 and this is like a poke in the eye.

Any suggestions? I don't want to pull the inst. cluster unless I have to.

540Malibu

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Shrews., MA
pull the guage cluster, its easy enoug, set a multimeter for continuity, and make sure there is contact between the cluster terminal and the terminal on the fuse box end of the column harness, if there isnt then you have a lose connection or a chafed/broken wire, and then the fun begins

oh ya, and run a bypass in place of the flasher, it wont click on with the tiny voltage from the multi meter

A

Anonymous

:lol: I found the problem!!

Yeah, I had to pull the inst. cluster. Checking for basic continuity on the printed circuit revealed the problem. Infinite resistance along one of the circuits.

What I did was cut along the plastic (carefully!!!) to expose the copper below and laid a coat of solder "paint" along the circuit. If you attempt this, don't remove the printed circuit from the back of the inst. cluster or you will just break the repair when you are re-installing it. Also, the copper print will separate from the plastic if you are not quick with the solder gun. Move quick!

Most would just buy or find a new one, but down here in Panama, there aren't a lot of these cars around to rape parts off of.

Thanks for the help 540Malibu, you pointed me in the right direction.

Problem solved. :p

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts