Trying Hydroboost, much needed advice PLEASE

BillySS

Frequent Racer
Dec 13, 2009
Matawan,NJ
I just purchased a manual brake set up from TRZ. I hate it!! It took me until the last turnaround at Etown to get it slow enough to make the turn. Anyway I just purchased a remaned Hydroboost booster from an earlly 80s regal/monte carlo. I also just ordered the new lines from Rockauto. Any advice and tips on what else I need to convert my brake system???

BillySS

Frequent Racer
Dec 13, 2009
Matawan,NJ
Yes 1" above factory hole.

BillySS

Frequent Racer
Dec 13, 2009
Matawan,NJ
I did some reading in the forums and some people say to get rid of the stock PV. I bled the brakes at least 10 x and then again when I got to the track sunday. It seems like its using more of the rear brakes to stop. I did put the front brake lines in the rear port on the master like the instructions say.

malibudave1978

Amateur Racer
Jun 8, 2004
Houston, TX
What is your brake system setup? Stock front calipers and stock rear drums?
What size brake master cylinder are you using?

Stock size calipers have a 2.38 piston and are quick take up calipers after the 1981 model years for g-bodies. This size is small for the size of our cars and the quick take up design requires a step bore master cylinder. These calipers should be upgraded to a oversized 2.75" piston. These oversized calipers are not quick up design. Even though the caliper is upsized from 2.38" piston to a 2.75" piston, it still would only need a 7/8" master cylinder or less.

There is a 15/16" master cylinder from a dodge dakota that can easily be adapted to the TRZ manaual brake set up. But I still think it is too large of a master cylinder. There is the step bore master cylinder from the s10 with a 24mm primary bore and a 1 1/4" step bore, but I think this is too large for a stock g-body braking system or with the upgraded larger calipers. This master cylinder would require modification (elongating the mounting holes) to bolt to the TRZ manaul brake plate.

Stock g-body manual brake pedal ratio is 6:1
TRZ manual brake pedal ratio is 5.5:1
Stock g-body power brake pedal ratio is 5:1

The higher the ratio = less pedal effort and more leverage to get fluid to the caliper.
Smaller the master cylinder = less pedal effort and more pressure to the caliper.

BillySS

Frequent Racer
Dec 13, 2009
Matawan,NJ
It's the Strange master with 1.032 bore. I raised the pin hole 1" over factory according to TRZ instructions. I also have SSBC dual piston front calipers on drilled n slotted rotors factory drum in rear with GN High Boost wheel cylinders.

malibudave1978

Amateur Racer
Jun 8, 2004
Houston, TX
What is the bore size on those calipers? Are those calipers used on the stock rotors and spindles?

IMO, I would step down on the size size of the master cylinder. A master cylinder from a 1995 Dodge Dakota has a 24mm or a 15/16" bore. If you have a choice choose the smaller 15/16" bore. You should be able to get this master cylinder new from the auto parts store. I don't know if you run brake line adapters on the Strange master cylinder, but the Dakota master cylinder has 1/2-20 and 9/16-20 outlets. G-bodies have 1/2-20 and 9/16-18 outlets. You will need an adapter to convert to the GM brake line fittings.

BillySS

Frequent Racer
Dec 13, 2009
Matawan,NJ
I will look into it Thx

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
BillySS said:
It's the Strange master with 1.032 bore. I raised the pin hole 1" over factory according to TRZ instructions. I also have SSBC dual piston front calipers on drilled n slotted rotors factory drum in rear with GN High Boost wheel cylinders.

IMO you may not be building enough pressure for manual brakes, especially since that master is designed for a disc/disc setup, not disc/drum. I'd go to a smaller master, maybe even as small as 7/8".

Tommy

malibudave1978

Amateur Racer
Jun 8, 2004
Houston, TX
LS6 Tommy said:
BillySS said:

IMO you may not be building enough pressure for manual brakes, especially since that master is designed for a disc/disc setup, not disc/drum. I'd go to a smaller master, maybe even as small as 7/8".

Tommy

Tommy,

Is there any other low cost 7/8" aluminum master cylinder alternatives? I know there is some aftermarket units, but they seem to be $180 and up. I know of some mopar style 21mm and 7/8" bore MC, but they have small 3/8-24 line outlets.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts