trunk carpeting

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com
Soooooo....I started this post, what, 9 months ago? Long before I had my stroke lol

Anyway, I've decided that it was time to finish a project or two (the first was repainting a bedroom, followed by redoing the closets in that bedroom and another, I was told they were projects anyway :? ) the next was to get the trunk of the Malibu a little farther along than it was. I started a post in general discussion titled Fun with fiberglass back in august that highlighted some of the speaker box build, although with school last semester I didn't have the time to finish it beyond getting the carpet and backing cut and glued together, the side panels made and carpeted and the fiberglass part of the box made. So this past week my wife was in Alaska, my son's with my ex, and I've been bored. So I decided to tackle finishing up the trunk. I started by laying the carpet down, mounting the side panels, putting the fiber glassed box in and making a bulkhead panel from masonite covered in carpet. I then took some cardboard and made some templates of what I wanted the trunk hinges to look like when I was done, then I used said templates to make masonite versions. I joined the two pieces for each side with a scrap of oak I had left over from a kitchen project some glue and my pneumatic brad nailer.
cover1.jpg

Front side of the driver side cover

cover2.jpg

Back side of the same cover

cover3.jpg

Both covers made and installed pre-carpet

So I carpeted the trunk hinge covers and then went to work covering up the nasty looking area that was between the speaker box and the side board. You know that area that's a few inches wide that is between the spare tire well and the drop off to the quarter. I had a lot of fiberglass mat left over, along with a pint or so of resin. So I put everything where it needed to be and then started taping. A little more "fun with fiberglass" and I had a rough panel to cover the area up.
panel1.jpg

After I had gotten done "glassing" the area, waiting for it to dry

panel2.jpg

Here's the panel after it was dry and then cut to fit how I wanted it

I then carpeted the panel I had just made as well as the speaker box itself. I actually fought about this in my head for a while, while the glass work was good enough it wouldn't have taken that much time to make the box paint worthy since I'm no longer a body shop guy I decided painting it would be more of a hassle than it was worth, so carpet it was. I didn't prep the box at all, just started in with the spray glue and carpet. After getting everything carpeted I started installing last night. It's all done except for the back panel that the tail lights bolt to. I think that I will probably end up taking everything out and just gluing carpeting right to that panel and then cleaning up the tail light fasteners, but that's for a future installment :lol:

Here's the pictures of the trunk after everything was put in and installed, but it's not been vacuumed yet
trunk1.jpg

trunk2.jpg

trunk3.jpg

trunk4.jpg

If there's any questions ask away....for some reason I've lost some pictures of the process #-o

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
Very nice job! Great work...only thing you may want to do is make a small panel to go over the ribbed floor area, to make it smooth and better match your other nice work! wouldn't weigh much at all if you'd use 1/4 inch plywood or mdf. Just a thought.

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
LS6 Tommy said:
Slightly off topic, but I see all kinds of ads for "correct" trunk spatter paint for 78-87. My trunk is just black & it's 100% factory...

Tommy

Great looking work RatMalibu!! Really like the cleaned-up look of the panels. Hate to get off topic slightly and ask Tommy or yourself what kind of "black" to use to cleanup the trunk not using splatter trunk paint. I would like to keep my trunk fairly OEM looking. Flat, semi, or a low gloss?? Flat would probably mark up fairly easy I suppose?? Painted mine body color at the time and then poured ZeroRust in all the seams that couldn't be hit with seam sealer so it looks pretty rough right now. Thanks and great fiberglass work!!

Steve

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts