Steering column swap

Dduck

Daily Driver
Jun 28, 2014
You are correct , the switch I bought does have 4 spades on it . I am interested in the original switch that you mentioned you have for sale . How much are you asking. Right now I have a non tilt auto column in the car but do have a non tilt manual column to put in . I could use the auto column and remove the shifter bump to make it look a floor shifter column .

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I would like $25 plus first class postage plus paypal fees for the switch ($28.04).

Don't try and use the auto column. The shifter collar must be in the held in the P or N position in order to start the car. If locked in the P position, it is possible to move the key to the Lock position without the extra safety step of moving the shifter or depressing the key release lever...in other words it is not a safe set up. Use manual column that you have.

I was wrong about the wiring; I did not know your column was from 1979. The only extra wires I can think of would be for a cruise control button on the turn signal lever.

DSC01388.jpg

DSC01387.jpg

Dduck

Daily Driver
Jun 28, 2014
Thanks t5 .. Price sounds good . I do have paypal . The auto column did have cruise . The manual column does not have signal lever but I don't think it had cruise but I could be wrong .
Have a good one
Roy

Dduck

Daily Driver
Jun 28, 2014
That could be a problem , I can barely get these posts going . Could I email them too you and what exactly would you like to see . Thanks

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
On the subject of a steering column swap... one of our regulars showed up yesterday in a sexy '79 4-speed Elky... said he got the column from a late 2nd Gen Camaro, and it bolted right in. It didn't appear to be a factory manual because it didn't have the G-Body hump. Any insight to this?

t01blaze

Amateur Racer
Dec 14, 2011
South New Jersey
Doober said:
On the subject of a steering column swap... one of our regulars showed up yesterday in a sexy '79 4-speed Elky... said he got the column from a late 2nd Gen Camaro, and it bolted right in. It didn't appear to be a factory manual because it didn't have the G-Body hump. Any insight to this?

My friend has a 4 speed 2nd gen and the bowl of his column rotates for a key release instead of having a key release lever, when the trans in put in reverse only. The part that rotates is like our G bodies where the shifter rotates the column. Sounds like you'd still have the same problem as before with no key release or trying to make one up to work with that column.

I have a steering column from an 85 Firebird that I just finished fitting to my Malibu. I disassembled both columns and used the G body ignition switch, high beam switch, turn signal switch and turn signal lever on the F body column. I cut the firewall flange off both columns and have the G body flange on the F body column. I checked the length of the steering column shaft D to a marked spot on the firewall with the G body column and then again with the F body column and I was able to get the F body column in the right spot. I didn't want the steering shaft over or under extended. It's all bolted together and I just have to weld the firewall flange to the F body column.

The only part of this swap that might not fit is the plastic bowl on the upper part of the column. It might hit against the instrument panel bezel. I guess I'll see if I need to trim anything when I put the dash back in the car.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
It may have been easier to disassemble the columns, separate the upper/lower tubes, and press the Camaro tube to the Malibu lower tube. I have done this swap before.

The Camaro key release lower shroud is a little shorter than the Malibu shroud, but may not be noticeable in most applications.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts