starter issue

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
There isn't a neutral safety switch at the base of the column. That switch controls the reverse lamps and tells a computer whether the car is in N, P, or a driven gear (for 1981 and later).

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
None of the studs on the solenoid are loose, are they? How old are your battery cables? Any chance of corrosion on/inside them?

wagonmaster

Weekend Racer
Aug 30, 2004
Green Bay, WI
Battery is in the trunk and and the cables are all fairly new. They meet at a junction block on the inner fender and when I jump them it starts great.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
thought i'd post an update on my situation. i found the issue the following day. i ended up bypassing the ignition switch with a full 12V ignition source to eliminate that problem. didn't change. long story short, i narrowed it down to being a starter issue. guess i should have went with my gut on this, but had a hard time believing a BRAND NEW starter would be garbage. i took it to a local auto electric shop, had it looked at and tested....in his words, it's garbage. put my old starter on, and went racing. just had to deal with the hot start issue, as usual. hopefully sending summit their starter back.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
A mechanic buddy of mine told me they use term (kiss) which means keep it simple stupid. Usually it's the easiest things but for some reason we always think of the hardest stuff first.
Glad it's fixed griz

wagonmaster

Weekend Racer
Aug 30, 2004
Green Bay, WI
The hot start issue is what I am trying to cure. Never a problem cold. I haven't had a chance to work on it. Maybe next week.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
bowtie81 said:
A mechanic buddy of mine told me they use term (kiss) which means keep it simple stupid. Usually it's the easiest things but for some reason we always think of the hardest stuff first.
Glad it's fixed griz

hey! you calling me stupid? :lol:

you're exactly right. first thing we thought was "maybe the starter's junk". i just chose to rule any other possible issues out before taking the starter out again. oh well, live and learn.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts