SBC ENGINE ID NUMBERS ???'S

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
I have a SBC engine that I cant read the numbers off the back of the block but it has 379 stamped on the sides of it anyone know what size and years of this SBC engine?THANKS

jsiler

Dragway Regular
Nov 6, 2009
Dayton, OH
I need to do some research to verify an engine also.Isnt the numbers on the rear different from the ones on the front and will either set of numbers give you the same info?

art

Amateur Racer
Aug 8, 2008
Mastic, New York 11950
The casting numbers (the ones in the back) will give you when it was made(date code) and the displacement. Some blocks were used for several different products so the stamped numbers on the front pad tell much more information.

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
art said:
The casting numbers (the ones in the back) will give you when it was made(date code) and the displacement. Some blocks were used for several different products so the stamped numbers on the front pad tell much more information.

Art just said that stamped numbers on the front pad tell you more than the casting numbers do.
Look up - How to decode Chevy Engine Codes - NastyZ28.com

art

Amateur Racer
Aug 8, 2008
Mastic, New York 11950
Where is the "379" located on the block? Some blocks have digits cast into them that I have no clue what they represent. The numbers on the back drivers side are faint some times, but if you wire brush the block HARD they sometimes clean up enough to read. In all fairness, just the last three will sometimes be enough that you can "rubic cube" whats in front to figure it out.
Is this a complete engine or something else?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts