rear suspension where to start

darius smith

Amateur Racer
Jul 12, 2006
fort valley, ga
dubasracing said:
what about umi relocation brackets for the lower control arms? doesnt relocating the lowers cause the same effect as the lift bars? the lakewood shocks are nowhere to be found so im trying to decide to go with comp engineering or summit brand for the front. my rear set up is basically identical to yours. qa1 springs and shocks in rear are same lb rate and single adjustable. i ran the lift bars previously on old motor and never ever had a traction problem. im thinking since the lift bars come with relocation brackets its a win win since i have the double adj lowers already i can always swap them back. the brackets alone are 70 bucks and the complete lift bar kit is 177 bucks so its a 107 dollar trial and error. ive spent worse amounts of money trying other stuf over the years. i just want to get back in the 1.50 sixty foot times and get this car in the 10s where it belongs. i been so wrapped up in suspension i havnt begun to start tuning engine its fresh off the engine stand basically.
thats what i've been doing for as long as i been a member of this site. your shocks should do what lift bars do mine does. when i watch a video i saw the seperation that they talk about a triangle 4 link should have. i had bought a set of relocation brackets but never used them because i talk to guys who was running 10s and 9s and they told me to go with single adj. shocks. i think your problem is in the front springs because of no weight transfer but i could be wrong i'm no expert. here is a vid. of the seperation that you can see when i launch and the other is a co-worker with a big block with coil over fronts with no weight transfer because the springs are for cruising. his 60ft is in the 1.60s. videos tells you alot when they are focused on the suspension.

dubasracing

Mar 19, 2008
my car used to leave a bit better than yours when i had old suspension and yes now it leaves like the nova does but with bad tire hop and blowing the tires off past the tree. i've always launched at 3500 rpm but i've tried all different rpms even off idle but no change. so i did a bit more digging i'm gonna save 100 bucks and just get the relocation brackets from u.m.i ,front summit shocks and moroso 212 springs. then play with a.r.b. and rear shocks some more and make it work.

darius smith

Amateur Racer
Jul 12, 2006
fort valley, ga
good luck with your changes that was the last pass with those tires. i bought a set of m/t slicks and 60ft went back to mid 50s. that was a 1.61 60ft there. keep us posted wuth the changes that you make and how they work.

sheldonw

Weekend Racer
Apr 13, 2008
darius smith said:
we have about the same problem with 60ft and our suspension set is similar. i have single qa1s on all4 corners and qa1 coil over springs in rear(12" #130). i have a arb with double adj. upper and had non adj lowers. the front has tricksprings #212 which they did help with weight transfer. i'm like you i up graded and still didnt see a difference from the cheap shocks(lakewood) i even have went as far as changing rear gear from a 4.56 to a 3.89 to help 60ft. and guess what it still the same and so is the everything else. i got double adj. lowers going on the car soon but i they arent going to help either, so good luck with yours.

darius what backspace wheels and tiresize are u runnning with the 12" 130# springs in the back did u have to roll the wheel wells?

sheldonw

Weekend Racer
Apr 13, 2008
78maliburat said:
FOLLOW THIS LINK

http://www.malibuthunder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11380

YOU HAVE TO BE A MEMBER THERE welcome_sign.gif

registered two days ago there haven't been activated yet

darius smith

Amateur Racer
Jul 12, 2006
fort valley, ga
sheldonw said:
darius smith said:
we have about the same problem with 60ft and our suspension set is similar. i have single qa1s on all4 corners and qa1 coil over springs in rear(12" #130). i have a arb with double adj. upper and had non adj lowers. the front has tricksprings #212 which they did help with weight transfer. i'm like you i up graded and still didnt see a difference from the cheap shocks(lakewood) i even have went as far as changing rear gear from a 4.56 to a 3.89 to help 60ft. and guess what it still the same and so is the everything else. i got double adj. lowers going on the car soon but i they arent going to help either, so good luck with yours.

darius what backspace wheels and tiresize are u runnning with the 12" 130# springs in the back did u have to roll the wheel wells?
yes i roll the fender more like beat with a dead blow. the backspacing if i would guess is 3.5 but i run a .5 spacer because frame rails havent been notched YET. I got a 28x10.5 on a 9" rim that why they fit because i got the same tire on a 8" with same backspacing and the tire stick out of the wheel well. i can use a 1/4 spacer and have a 1/4 space between tire and frame but i wanted to be safer going down track.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts