Putting a Pontiac Engine in my 79 Malibu

A

Anonymous

I have came across a 74 pontiac 400 that was mocked to 455 specs along with the turbo 400. What is required to put this motor/trans combo in and has anybody done it. I tried searching the forum before posting the question. Any help is appreciated. At the moment the engine it the car is from a 77 buick (I think 305) I am unsure of the transmission

A

Anonymous

wow that's a different combo.

My first thought would be make sure you have the upper and lower engine mounts attached to the engine and drop the engine/transmission combo in end check everything to make sure it is sitting where you want it. If bolt holes line up to mount the lowers then cool...if they don't then you will have to get out the drill.

I hope that motor has head studs if it is built at all. Those Pontiac 400s only have 4 bolts per cylinder. Always made me a little leery of them.

the TH400 is easy. You just need one of the TH400 crossmembers from ICEMAN, scummit, or jegs.

Sikmalibu

Dragway Regular
Apr 2, 2008
Central NJ
If I remember right from when I built my firebird the motor mount bolts to the frame differently than a chevy. To connect the 2 halves the bolt goes through the frame and connects the 2 sides of the mounts. So if I'm right your gonna have to get special mounts made up. But that would be an awesome powerplant, they are full of torque.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I'm not sure what you mean by "mocked to 455 specs", but IIRC the 400 has a smaller crank journal than the 455 & requires the need to have the crank turned down to go into the 400 block. This is actually a good thing because it reduces bearing speed. The block usually needs minor clearancing, too. Another slightly more expenxive alternative is to contact Butler Performance. For around $1700.00 they have a really nice stroker rotating assembly for the 400 block that really builds a neat 461/467" sleeper.

Tommy

desbird

Frequent Racer
Feb 8, 2006
whitehall michigan
get engine mounts from a pontiac power g body or bonnie the frame are rubber buy at auto parts store engine are steel i may have a extra pr. going by rember you put fram in front holes chuck

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input!!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts