possible turbo build.. give me direction

ILLEGAL REGAL

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jan 1, 2005
Tinley Park,IL
want to go as cheap as possible... think backyard budget build from a 15yr old kid mowing lawns :D
so hears what I'm thinking, 5.3 with a hot air setup on e85.

cam-- z06 or turbo grind?
springs--stock or upgrade to?
intake--truck or ls1?
injectors, t-body and m/a meter?
what fuel pump to run from a cell, doubt I'd put a tank in the car
4l60 or 4l80? I'll take the weight hit if that means I can do an 80 cheaper and be more reliable
turbo-- something off a diesel pickup?

mounts--is there any reason all the adapters I find move the motor back? Are there any that bolt to the sbc frame pad and dont move it back?

boostinmalibu

Dragway Regular
Sep 13, 2005
joplin missouri
if it where me, id do a Z06 cam/springs, car intake(injectors more readily available), stock ported t/b, speed density tune(no MAF),

pump will depend on power goals, id over pump it from the start so when ya wanna turn it up, you will have the fuel system for it

if your dead set on an overdrive, do the 4l80e, you will end up swapping to it down the road anyway if ya did the 60e first, otherwise id put a th350/th400 in it

and the turbo choice is another power goal based answer, id run a china GT45($350ish new) or a MP t70 or t76, should be good for 550-600whp, or a S475 or S480, both of which are good for 900+

rollcagerage

Amateur Racer
Dec 13, 2009
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
I have done a couple turbo builds now and have seen and learned some cheap and effective ways. You can do 550hp with that budget, boostinmalibu hit the nail on the head with suggesting the gt45 turbo, lots of people use them with low boost and hit good hp numbers and are not even close to maxing them out. If you find a zo6 cam cheap go for it, for valve springs I personally went with old school gen double valve springs from procomp
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5338652022&icep_item=330421757185
they are .600 lift, 125lbs @ 1.800, open pressure is 360lbs at 1.20 and coil bind is 1.15 with a o.d. of 1.26. Theses springs were $35.00 a set, if you know people that race the old school motors you can find used higher quality springs also. Now to convert the old gen springs to the ls head go to the junk yard and get spring retainers off a early 90's dodge magnum motor (318 or 360ci) these retainers share the same tapper and valve stem diameter as the ls and can be had for $10.00, they are a direct fit using the ls keepers. I know putting old springs on seems like going backwards however even some after market ls heads use old school bbc springs for radical solid lift cams. On my blazer I have used a external walbro 255lph fuel pump, they seem to be good for up to 550 or 600 hp on gas, not sure about E85 though, might have to double up on them, its not hard to do though because they are external mount, they can be had from ebay for about $80.00 each, but check out are sponcers on MR to see if they have them first. I used a truck intake on my first turbo build however because of he design of both ls stock car and truck intakes there always is a problem with #7 cylinder running lean, trust me I wrecked a 5.3l motor twice from this, one problem was I didnt have the room to use the MAF correctly, speed density was the way to go to solve most of the problem, I personally would not do another build with a MAF. Injectors are most likely going to be one of your biggest costs, I'm not sure what size for e85 but my guess would be around 80lbs witch cost around $400. Other thougts are maybe go blow through carb, I you can convert a carb over to e85, its a project but it is possable, the money saved on injectors could buy a carbed intake. Are you familar with hp tunners? msd 6010's for running carbs are cheap compare to efi tunning costs. personaly I love the E85, I got my malibu running on friday with E85, at idel with ambient air temps of 65 degrees my AIT are 35 degrees, its kinda weird, with the motor at operating temp, the intake is nearly ice cold, I really think E85 will be the way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

rollcagerage

Amateur Racer
Dec 13, 2009
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
As far as the ls motor being moved back I think its because the transmission flange on the ls motors are just over 1inch shorter than the old school motors, IDK that theres anything a person can do about it.

malibu795

Pro Stocker
Apr 17, 2005
spgfd ohio
4L85Es the one you want to look for are the 04 and newer.
and can be easily built to handle 1000ftlb the expensive part is the TC decent run 1000-1300
500-600HP
DC hub upgrded to 34 element
clutches
pump mod
the FC, DC and IC are all the same as the TH400
im putting ~550ftlb to my bone stock 4l85 on my hotshot rig.

i wouldnt even think about 60/65

malibu795

Pro Stocker
Apr 17, 2005
spgfd ohio
ILLEGAL REGAL said:
How about the 700r4? I kinda think those are under rated and are being given away
bone stock 4l85 has a capacity for 550-600TQ. before it slips, change the TC and your miles ahead of the 700r4 in strength..
plus the 85 gives you room to grow power wise.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts