New guy 79 factory 4 speed wagon.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
I’ll probably order the pin and go from there. The tailgate never functioned since we’ve owned the car. I can remember every once in a while the rear glass would fly open while we were out driving around. The lock cylinder was shot on it when we got it. Tonight I’m going to start looking for the paint you mentioned and get it ordered up.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
In my 1983 wagon, I came out of a store to find my rear window was raised. I tried closing it and it wouldn't stay shut. I had to disassemble the gate to find the latch bolts had become loose. Perhaps you just need to adjust the latch.

If you need part numbers for other tailgate parts, let me know and I will look for them this evening.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
We had it completely disassembled since last year so I decided to get it back together while I’m waiting on the column and a little bit of wiring. Just want to get all the little stuff done while I’m waiting. I wish someone would repop the plastic tailgate liner, my is a wreck like all of them and busted up pretty bad.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
So far the dark carmine paint prices are all over the place. $16.95 up to $65! The paint I got for my dodge truck was $28 then $12 for shipping. It was the color “camel” for 98-02 dodges and mine is a 97. It’s not a perfect match but close enough for me.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Both Mikes Montes and Dixie Restoration Depot should carry it and the Adhesion Promoter.

Because the color may not match the lock housing perfectly, you should clean and paint both pieces. Don't paint it assembled because you would then need to tilt the column in both extreme positions in order to get complete coverage.

They should be lightly scuffed, but not enough to leave scratches. The paint/dye directions should tell you what to do.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Yea I got a handful of 600-800 grit sand paper that I was going to use on my dodge dash but ended up not using it. I’ll give both of those websites a thorough look instead of just typing it in on google. I think the email said the bowl is supposed to be here on the 8th or 9th

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
There is light at the end of the tunnel!

Mikes Montes doesn't have the right color.

Dixie Restoration Depot has the right color.

According to the SDS, the SEM prep is naptha. SEM is a top-of-the-line OEM paint company. I have used VM&P Naptha in a can from the hardware store on a clean cloth to wipe down metal interior parts before painting. It has been a very long time since I painted a column part and I don't remember what I used to clean the parts before painting, but it wasn't naptha. I may have used brake cleaner, but I strongly recommend testing it on the inside first of the plastic part first if you choose to use brake cleaner. It may attack ABS, but I don't think it attacked the lock housing...but don't take my word for it. The SEM spray prep will get into the nooks/crannies that a cloth won't get into and prevent fish eyes due to oils/Armor All hiding in those nooks/crannies. The PDF instructions state to spray and wipe in a single direction.

Don't forget the plastic adhesion promoter; it has naptha, toluene, acetone, n-butyl acetate.
https://semproducts.com/product/***-adhesion-promoter

After reading the Tech Data Sheets for the Prep and Adhesion Promoter, I think the Adhesion Promoter is also a prep, so the SEM Prep may not be needed. Have a look and decide for yourself.

If you have a paint supplier nearby, you may be able to get the SEM *** Adhesion Promoter there and avoid shipping costs. It may or may not be a crap shoot to get the plastic paint mixed somewhere else. Dixie Restoration Depot would have done their homework to be sure the color is right. If your local supplier can mix interior plastic paint by OEM color code, it may be OK. If they ask for a sample, I don't know if I would like that option.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts