NEED HELP!! HAVING MAJOR ISSUES WITH TIRE RUB (UPDATE 9/21)

appsk8r

Frequent Racer
Sep 7, 2006
Winston Salem, NC
Re: NEED HELP!! HAVING MAJOR ISSUES WITH TIRE RUB.

ah good thinking RatMalibu. We never asked if this problem is with the wheels straight, or only when they are turned. If it's only when they are turned then backspacing does matter. If it's when they are straight, well then I'm still confused!

LIVE4RDO

Frequent Racer
Jul 21, 2010
Staten Island, NY

The problem is only when the wheels are turned all the way to the right (pass tire rub) or to the left (driver side rub). I actually have something else in mind. tell me if you think it will work.

I listed wheels and tires for sale, since I have 0 miles on them. I wan to get a 16" ZQ8 wheels (they are 16x8) and get a lower profile tires, something like 245/50/16 for the front and maybe 275/50/16 for the rear.

What do you guys think?

And once again, thank you for trying to solve this issue with me.

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com

you could do the ZQ8's....but, they are 16x8 with pretty close to 4.5" back space, which might work on the front but you'd be better off with 4.75" backspace imo....the only way to be sure is test fit

I actually ran a full set of 91-92 Camaro 16" wheels with the ZQ8 centercaps for years on my car...the cool part about the Camaro wheels is they look just like the ZQ8's but the camaro rear wheels had more backspacing...so I ran the Camaro front wheels that had 4.35" bs (0mm offset) on the rear and the Camaro rear wheels went on the front..the rears are 16mm offset (5/8" more backspace)

mymalibu.jpg

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey

I hate to say it, but I'm 99% sure those aren't GW upper arms & even if they are, they don't look like they're correct for B-body spindles. If the upper arms aren't specifically designed for B-body spindles, there's no way the alignment shop could have gotten it right. I have 235/60R15s on 15" x 7" Monte SS wheels with 3.75" back spacing. Plenty of clearnance everywhere. I bet it's the upper arms.

Here's the GW uppers for B-body spindles:

yhst-20865666099910_2136_108411721.gif

Tommy

LIVE4RDO

Frequent Racer
Jul 21, 2010
Staten Island, NY

LS6, the uppers you pictured, don't look right the bar in the middle looks like will interfere.

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio

Hey Tommy,
Those are Hotchkiss uppers,they look right as I have a set that I bought from a member,I just havn't Installed them yet,The tubular uppers they make for the standard spindle are bent downward out toward the ball joint similar to a stock control arm and look kinda funny,I'd say those are correct

Hey LIVE4RDO,
That cross bar on the Globals is where the extension bumpstop is located so it will deffinatly hit the frame just outside of where the control arm mounts,the suspension just won't extend as far as yours does,doesn't actually need to,that's actually a feature I'm not so wild about on the Hotchkiss version but I got a pretty good deal on mine so I bought them,Later,KillerDave

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey

LIVE4RDO said:
LS6, the uppers you pictured, don't look right the bar in the middle looks like will interfere.

Nope. That's the upper bump stop & it's in the same spot as a stock stamped upper arm.

Tommy

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio

Any updates? I'd like to know!! KilerDave

LIVE4RDO

Frequent Racer
Jul 21, 2010
Staten Island, NY

No updates as of now. Too much snow. I'm thinking about trying 16x8 wheels, with 4.5 bs and 235x50x16s. I just have to figure out a way to try it without spending money on new rims and tires.

LIVE4RDO

Frequent Racer
Jul 21, 2010
Staten Island, NY

Can anyone in NY/NJ area recommend a good suspension shop? I'd like to let professionals take a look at the issue. I tried to put on a 16" TTIIs which were on my buddy's 78 Bu with no issues, and had the same problem.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts