Narrowing the bumpers

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
80malibucoup said:
B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L.!!!!!!! Gives the car a cleaner,less bulky look. You guys did a fantastic job.
Thanks man! It sure does give it a cleaner look.. The bumpers used to stick out like Mickey Mouse ears.
I'm pleased with the results.
Are you still planning on doing yours? If you need any further information, advice, pep talk etc., just give a holler.. ;)

80malibucoup

Frequent Racer
Feb 8, 2011
Jonesboro,Ga
Longroof79 said:
80malibucoup said:
B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L.!!!!!!! Gives the car a cleaner,less bulky look. You guys did a fantastic job.
Thanks man! It sure does give it a cleaner look.. The bumpers used to stick out like Mickey Mouse ears.
Are you still planning on doing yours? If you need any further information, advice, pep talk etc., just give a holler.. ;)
How much to just do some for me and ship them?lol.

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Great work... They look really good. You mentioned Chrome paint. Like the rattle can chrome??

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
80malibucoup said:
Longroof79 said:
80malibucoup said:
How much to just do some for me and ship them?lol.
Shipping them would be a killer. Besides, I think it's best done with the car present.
I think it really needs to be done on an individual basis.
If it were closer, I'd consider it.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Brown_Gbody said:
Great work... They look really good. You mentioned Chrome paint. Like the rattle can chrome??
Thanks man! No, it's not a rattlecan job. It's a sort of a multi-part process. I'm still learning about it.
I'll report more when I find out...or actually do it. ;)

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Longroof,

Been switching back and forth from pics of my front bumpers and your's. You thought that out alot better and just did a whole lot nicer job. Maybe the 78/79 header panels/grills accept narrowed bumpers alot better than the 80's panel/grill/bezels by design, I don't know. I like it how the fender fillers and bumper to grill filler are just GONE. I'm jealous. Nice and simple. You nailed it!

Steve

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Thank you for your kind words, Steve!
..and you can call me Jack... :)
Yeah, I was pretty intent on eliminating the fillers altogether, even though I have a set of decent replacements.
Don't discount the job that you did on yours. They were done very well and so subtly, that you can hardly tell anything was done...especially rechroming them.
I actually added metal in the upper rear corners from the pieces that I sliced off of the bumper...same gage of course.
I think had I left them alone, I definitely would have had to use the fillers to take up the gaps. It did require some further welding and grinding, but I feel it was worth it.
I will be replacing the '79 header panel for an '81. Hopefully it will look just as good.
Once again, I like what you did to yours, and I also like the mounting plates that you fabbed...nice pieces. When I cut mine, I would have used a band saw like you did. But I used what I had...die grinder/ cut-off wheel.
Thanks again buddy! I'm sure this thread will inspire other guys who want to achieve the narrowed bumper look.

bukweet

Top Fueler
Mar 22, 2005
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Outstanding work, Jack.

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Glad to see your longroof still lives. The guy that bought mine shot some primer on it and that's about it. He does drive it a lot so at least he's enjoying it.

Went to a good home but it still sucks to see it in his driveway.

8)
bukweet

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Thank you Charlie.
I haven't given up on the old gal.. :lol: In fact I have a renewed enthusiasm to getting it done. It will probably be the last car that I do any extensive bodywork and paint to...I'm not getting any younger.
It must kill you to still see the car around, and yet not see any significant changes and improvements done to it.
I probably should have bought it when you had it up for sale. Maybe you'll end up getting it back...you never know. :)

double

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts