Narrowing a front glass bumper

bigsteve

Amateur Racer
Jun 26, 2009
East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
I'm getting ready to hang a fiberglass bumper on my 81 malibu. I want to tuck it in. Do you guys that have done this before cut it in the middle and take a piece out of there or a little out of the ends? TIA - Steve

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
hey steve,i narrowed my steel bumper not long ago and i took 3/4 of an inch off each side.i wish i had just cut it down the middle #-o .it seemed to make sence that way when i narrowed the bumper filler.its less work that way.what i've done when i replace quarter panels is,over lap the new panel on top of the remaining section of the sail panel,then make one cut through both panels,pull it apart and remove the excess part.that way the two parts fit perfectly together.i did that with my bumper filler and just welded it up.i would rather just glass the middle of a bumper than two ends.you could cut it in half,bolt it back to the car positioning each half where u want it to line up with the fender&header line, having one overlap the other and make one cut up the middle and glass both sides together from there.just an idea.keep us posted.
CR

el meano

Amateur Racer
Jun 19, 2009
new haven CT
im sorry to hijack this thread, but could you or someone else pose pics of your narowed frond bumpers? im doing an
84 to 79 nose swap on my car and have realy been toying with the idea of a narowed front bumper. sorry for the hijack, and thanks in advance
---sean

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i'd love to post pictures of the process but i only have pictures of the before&after. ](*,) i'm an idiot like that.i'm suspect that my boss get rembursed by the state for me to work there sometimes.

78boo0

Frequent Racer
Feb 13, 2007
HAZEL PARK, mi
www.niacandles.com
here a picture of mine i got it off EBAY
img027.jpg
this is the seller i got mine from (rareelco10) i hope this helps

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
never mind the bumper,u got the wheels of the ground!!! \:D/ looks good.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i finally got the bumper in primer!!! if i didn't french the plate before i decided to narrow it i would of narrowed it like we talked about cutting it in the middle.
bumper001.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts