May be upgrading 8.5 rear, have a couple of questions

87SS

Dragway Regular
Jul 18, 2004
Hillsborough, NJ
www.cardomain.com
Due to my direction change in motors, I want to start looking at upgrading the 8.5 rear I have. Currently it is stock with a LPW cover and brand new drum brakes on the rear. I was going to go for the S60 Dana 60 rear from Strange, but Strange told me they have stopped making them for the G Body. :evil:

I am currently running adjustable upper and lowers and prefer to stick with these arms I have, so I was thinking of either going with a Moser spool/axle/C-Clip Elim kit (33 spline max) for the 8.5 I have and do a disc brake swap, or go with a 9". I am clueless when it comes to 9 inch rears, how hard is setting up the center section and ring gears? Either way, I am looking for 35 spline min and a spool, even though it will be on the street once in a while.

A

Anonymous

hey do you have the stock 28 spline gn axles and side gears? im looking to fix my gn 8.5.

87SS

Dragway Regular
Jul 18, 2004
Hillsborough, NJ
www.cardomain.com
Figured the S60 or 9" would handle more power, utilize my existing rear suspension control arms and could be ordered with the larger spline axles. I really want to upgrade it and forget it, which made the S60 perfect for that. Since the S60 is no longer made, I figured the next step down on the reliability scale would be the 9".

I just hit Moser's page and looks to be around $2000 without brakes for a 12-bolt and 33 spline w/spool. I need to see what some of the GN guys are running on beefed up 8.5s over on TurboBuick since I could probably do this one up for $800-$1k. I have heard low 8s, but that could just be talk.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
talk to TOMS78BU he's gonna be selling a 12 bolt from his car. a 12 bolt is just a strong as the 9 is. and the 12 bolt takes less power to turn it and it weighs less too.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
your welcome 87ss. heres the link from tom talking about selling the 12 bolt
http://maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77689

MonteMike79

Pro Stocker
Nov 7, 2003
Erie, PA
I run a Moser 12 bolt under my car, the 9" is a little more expensive then the 12 bolt. I payed about 2600 all said and done for it after shipping and all. That was without brakes, you will have to get backer plates, shoes, and wheel cylinders from a chevelle or any other A body car.

87SS

Dragway Regular
Jul 18, 2004
Hillsborough, NJ
www.cardomain.com
Thanks. Maybe upgrading the 8.5 isn't such a bad idea for the price. Been researching on other sites, a lot of guys going in the 8s with them, but ring gear strength seems to be the issue after so many runs.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
spend a little extra and go with a 12, youll feel better you did in the long run. guys are running 7's with a 12

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts