Malibu just died while idling in my driveway... (Solved!)

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Re: Malibu just died while idling in my driveway...

hmmm...fuel level set to the bottom of the sight glass? i think both my front and rear are set to just about half way.

evil80

Amateur Racer
Nov 24, 2008
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Thanks for the help so far guys...... I still can't figure this problem out. So far I have:

- tried a new carb
- wired in a new msd digital 6 ignition
- repeatedly checked wiring
- installed a new coil
- installed new spark plugs
- installed new wires
- cleaned and checked distributor
- had valve covers off to make sure everything was moving correctly and nothing was broken

As of now I have the front of the engine off so i could get a look at the timing chain. timing chain is tight, but the dots on the sprokets do not line up when #1 cylinder is at top dead center? Crank dot is at 12 oclock position but the cam dot is at 12 oclock as well.... seems the cam is 180* out....BUT both valves at #1 are closed in this position which would be correct. I havn't done much more detective work than this so far, but I'll keep this thread updated as I work on it.

Thanks,
Jim

80montecarlo

Dragway Regular
Apr 24, 2008
cloverdale b.c. canada

this id just a sug. but maybe your cam broke

evil80

Amateur Racer
Nov 24, 2008
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

well.... that thought has crossed my mind. I'm gonna have to dig in a bit deeper to find that out, but when i turn the engine over the distributor spins and all the valves open and close.

Jim

slim69

Amateur Racer
Mar 7, 2009
Henderson, ky

i had a car do this and my cam broke but if your distributor is turning and valves are moving i wouldnt think it would be the problem did u check the voltage at your main hot coming into your ignition maybe its not throwing enough spark

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com

The dots are fine. The cam rotates once for every two rotations of the crank... meaning you can turn the crank 360º and they'll be lined up at 12 & 6-o'clock. Before you actually open up the motor, you can likely run a compression test on all the cylinders & see if you're getting compression on each cylinder, if not then something may be amiss. You said you wired in an MSD box... possibly try removing that and seeing if a stock GM HEI (as opposed to aftermarket) will fire the motor?

evil80

Amateur Racer
Nov 24, 2008
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

It originally failed with just the stock GM hei distributor.... I wired in my MSD digital 6 to see if that would help. The digital 6 ignition takes the place of the ignition module inside the HEI... I didn't want to buy a new ignition module, and I already had the digital 6, so i put it in to see if that was the problem. It does the same thing.

as for the dots.... i will explain better. The dot on the cam gear is at the top 12 oclock position when #1 is at TDC and so is the crank gear dot. so to make the dots line up i would have to spin the cam 180* If i spun the crank one full rotation i would be on my exhaust stroke, and thats exactly when the do line up is on my exhaust stroke.... I double checked tonight and all the valve events happen at the right time. right after TDC compression stroke comes the power stroke and no valves open on #1 cyl. then as the piston comes back up the exhaust valve opens, when the piston goes back down the intake valve opens while the exhaust valve closes, and finally when the piston travels up again both valves close for the compression stroke. just seems like the dot is in the wrong place..... and I can't see the chain jumping exactly 180* out while idling in my driveway. This has to be something easy i'm overlooking.

Jim

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada

not sure if any of these questions would help lead to anything...but what the heck.

how long since the car last ran?

solid or hydraulic cam?

have you checked the fuel pressure coming out of the pump?

can i have your car? :mrgreen:

just tossing thoughts around to see if maybe we can stir up a solution.

evil80

Amateur Racer
Nov 24, 2008
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

grizwald said:
not sure if any of these questions would help lead to anything...but what the heck.

how long since the car last ran?

solid or hydraulic cam?

have you checked the fuel pressure coming out of the pump?

can i have your car? :mrgreen:

just tossing thoughts around to see if maybe we can stir up a solution.

1)Been about a month

2)Solid Roller

3)Yes

4)No [-X

Jim

evil80

Amateur Racer
Nov 24, 2008
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

UPDATE:

Ok.... I'm sure I have found the problem now. #7 exhaust rocker has broken into 3 pieces. Did a compression test today and everything was fine, but when i did the test on #7 it made a funny sound. Air was coming out of the carb while cranking. I now know this is the compression escaping during the intake stroke becasue it couldn't during the exhaust stroke.

So, a new rocker is only about $25...so i'm gonna buy a few and change it out and see what happens.

Jim

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts