lightweight springs for glass hood

sixtoes1313

Weekend Racer
Dec 23, 2008
Abingdon, MD
i used the pin in the old hinge Idea as well and it hasnt let me down, I'd like to design some gas shock mounts for it though

shvrolay

Dragway Regular
blubaldmontess said:
A third thought, seen it a few times lately, use the little gas shocks, I know you'd have to do a little custom bracket making....but it'd look good. I've got the prop rod right now, but it doesn't give the front a clean look. The idea about push pins is pretty good too.

.......didn't some Regals come with a gas strut set-up on the hood? - or a strut with a spring in it?
I'd swear I've seen a couple of these in local junque yards.

pldmalibumalibu

Amateur Racer
Oct 7, 2009
The 508
79izfine said:
what i did was removed the spring winding ,,,,mounted the hinges on car and hood opened the hood as far as hinges would go then drilled a hole through both pieces of hinge and used a decent size cotter pin to hold hood up did both hinges gives it a clean look and works well
Wow !!!!what a good idea I wish I thought of it...

Blake442

Amateur Racer
Another problem with a simple solution from the factory!

Just snag the hinges and parts off a G-body Buick at the bone yard.

They used gas struts instead of springs to hold the hood.

Stock replacement struts may be too stiff, so you might have to look into something that doesn't have as much pressure to avoid damaging your glass hood.

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com
ed k said:
unlimited fiberglass sells light tension springs .i used them in a 4 inch harwood hood .

I bought a set of those when I bought my unlimited hood back in the eary 90's.....first time the hood fell on my head I took them off and threw them away. I have been using the stock hood springs since and have no issues with the hood bowing, if you look at the springs they can be installed 2 ways....take them off of the hinge and "unclock" them 180 degrees and reinstall, it makes them alot less stiff and if they haven't messed up my unlimited I doubt it will hurt a hood of better quality.....my 2 cents

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts