led lights

A

Anonymous

i plan on replacing all of the bulbs in and on my car to l.e.d.'s. do i need to replace the turn signal and flasher fuse's??

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
You'll probably need a dummy resistor for the blinkers to work right.

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA and Philly Area
Yes, you either need to install the proper resistors in every circuit for the flashers to work and/or get the proper flashers designed for LED blinkers. LED's do not provide enough resistance to work with a traditional flasher.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Too much resistance actually. The hazards will probably blink fine, but the left/right flasher will probably blink very fast, if at all. Go here and search for RL-650:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR

Or if you want to try Radio Shack, they'll have some ceramic resistors (check here), but won't have the heat sink... at 8Ω and 14.4 volts it'll get that resistor pretty hot, and will probably cause it to fail since it's only rated at 20w (14.4v + 8Ω = ~25w).

HarrisonTX

Top Fueler
Jul 11, 2003
Burleson TX
I must disagree. get 12 VOLT LEDs from RadioShack, and they will work fine.
Radio shack carries some that arnt 12 VOLT and would require a resistor
As long as the LED says 12 VOLT youll be fine.
I just did this, and they work great.

infact, these are the exact ones i used for my turn signals
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062569

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Yeah, for the indicators you're fine with regular 12v LEDs, but the low current draw compared to incandescents will cause the blinker to act up, which is why I was talking about the dummy resistor. They go in parallel with the bulb, not in series. Using them will cause the blinker to function normally.

HarrisonTX

Top Fueler
Jul 11, 2003
Burleson TX
Doober said:
Yeah, for the indicators you're fine with regular 12v LEDs, but the low current draw compared to incandescents will cause the blinker to act up, which is why I was talking about the dummy resistor. They go in parallel with the bulb, not in series. Using them will cause the blinker to function normally.

What do you mean by "act up"
mine work fine
Electricity dosnt misbehave

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
:lol: No, but it can cause stuff it's hooked up to to not act how you think it should ;)

Some flashers are load-sensitive, meaning if they have more or less resistance than what they're designed for, they'll flash faster or slower than what they were originally supposed to.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turn-signal2.htm

I'm under the assumption the green LEDs you are talking about are the signal indicators? Those won't have much of an impact on the flasher. The difference comes into play when you put LED bulbs into the parking lights or taillights.

fastrat350

Top Fueler
Oct 25, 2003
South Texas
www.freewebs.com

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts