I need some LSx enigne guidance

86_442_Cutty

Daily Driver
Mar 11, 2010
Hey everybody, I am on here cause I am planning on doing a LSx engine swap in my 86 442 Salon. I know that I want to go with the Ly6 engine because it's pretty cheap and also it's an iron block and with that I can put it on juice if I ever want to do that. Other then the engine, I do know that I want it to be a a stock looking sleeper so I was to keep it automic trans but I don't know what trans to go with. Should I go with a 4L60/80 or should I try and fit a 6L80 in there? My 8.5 rear is pretty good so I'm gonna keep that and just beef it up a little to handle more power and also switch the rear brakes from drum to rear. I really don't know what to do about the the fuel tank and weather or not I should go with a internal fuel pump or external fuel pump. I appreciate any and all help fellas.

Thanx AB

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
I would just put in a 4l80 and be done, probably get both from a donor 2wd 3/4 ton. Several options on the fuel pump, all work well. Guess thats more of a personal decision. Good luck and have fun! OH, and post some pics! :)

brrymnvette

Frequent Racer
Oct 18, 2004
St Louis, MO
6L80 would be awesome, but you have to have the newer reluctor wheel on the engine crank so you can use the LS2 style PCM to control the trans. Nobody has a stand alone controller for the trans yet.

Best best is 4l60e for stock or 4l80e if you plan on making real power.

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
I wouldnt do the 6l80e. Im thinkin you'd be asking for trouble.

4L80 or a 60 but make sure to have someone build it that knows their stuff.

I went sumped tank and external pump simply because I couldnt see spending 500'ish on tank alone to do it right. And by do it right I mean run -8 so that I had a lot of growing room in the future. I dont know of a cheap way to run a in tank pump and not be limited to -6 line.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts