Help Building Big Block

80superbu

Pro Stocker
Oct 2, 2005
Colorado springs, CO
Agreed..049 or 781's will get you there. I'm running the 781's, 10.4:1 comp. small solid cam with stock stroke and am making right at 600hp. Should eb good enough for a mid 10 sec pass

80superbu

Pro Stocker
Oct 2, 2005
Colorado springs, CO
Also agree that if your machinist is trying to sell you something you don't need then you should find another guy

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
You can make good power with the 049 or 781 heads. I ran the the 781 heads. I did a bowl blend, gasket match and 2.19/1.88 valves on mine. I think the 049 heads will easily meet your goals, IMHO.

Malibu Monte

Frequent Racer
Al said:
For the E.T. goal that you stated earlier the stock rods and crank will do fine. The 049 head is a good head. You might want to find another machine shop because it sounds like this guy is trying to make more money off you.
80superbu said:
Also agree that if your machinist is trying to sell you something you don't need then you should find another guy
No it is not like that. He has been building me and my dad's race motors for years at very good prices. I know he isn't trying to get more money out of me he wasn't trying to sell me heads, he was just going to call a guy that he knew kept some cores and have me go buy them from that guy. I am not sure why he thought those heads wouldn't meet my power goals though... Either way I am spending the same money with him to rebuild the heads. But I do appreciate everyones help and opinions here and I will use the 049's.

As for the rods do you think I should go aftermarket on them? If so which rods should I use? Also what pistons should I go with? Robert, You mention getting a cam for E85 specifically, do you have one in mind that would be good for me?

I appreciate everyones advice and opinions, keep it coming guys.

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
I agree, there isn't a better GM oval port head made. When World made their Merlin Oval port head, it was modeled after the 049/781 head. What core is going to flow better? I can completely understand if he wanted you to go aluminum due to the fact that cost of machine work on the steel heads may get you close to an aluminum. That is being honest and good business. Telling you those heads won't work isn't.

Malibu Monte

Frequent Racer
I google 049's tonight and found out lots of good information about the heads, I am definitely using those heads.

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
There are a lot of US made pistons. Getting a set that match your goal the performance level.
Rods, it's hard to spend money on the stockers to upgrade bolts and bushings........
And a US built set will be in the $1K area.

Maybe I missed it. What kind of cam?
Solid or Hyd flat?
Roller?

Malibu Monte

Frequent Racer
hyd flat

Malibu Monte

Frequent Racer
auto. 400 turbo with "switch" or "variable" stall convertor, pump, and input shaft. 3000 stall on high and 2500 stall on low.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts