Gremlin drinking all my battery juice overnight..

chevycopcar

Pro Stocker
Jul 19, 2004
S. Holland, IL
By the way, I didn't mean to imply that the drain between the posts can't occur on side post only batteries, only that I've never seen it happen. It would still be easy enough to check for.

El Coolmino

Top Fueler
May 11, 2005
DSM IA under a green truck
2 other places to look-

First, the alternator can do that in one of their many failure modes. Try unhooking the alternator and see if it still drains.

I too agree that the stereo install is a likely culprit. Try isolating components one at a time instead of all at once like you did.

One other oddball thing to look for- the trunk light is shutting off, right? Any chance you bumped it while in the trunk for the stereo install, and now the mercury switch isn't shutting off?

A

Anonymous

As well as the trunk lamp,don't forget the glove box lamp,if equipped.
One thing we've seen on side post batteries for GM vehicle-on almost evry manufactorer-is leakage through the positive terminal in the battery-acid leakage can cause similar symptoms.
We use a 43 M/A max draw on early computer controlled vehicles for parasytic draw.
Use DVOM-connected as previously stated-and pull the fuse for each circuit-DON'T pull ecm fuse-one at a time,to include any additionally added circuits until the troubled circuit is located and then test that circuit til source found.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts