Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Subscribed \:D/

my80bu

Weekend Racer
Oct 5, 2008
Belvidere IL
pmgm said:
Where did you get your 6.0 from? Im in the process of trying to find one for my swap and wondering where to look....

Thanks
I got this one off of ebay, it had a top fire and the intake and some sensors got burnt. I asked and called on it and got as much info as I could on it. So after some thinking i bout it for $600 and it was a Hundo shipped to my work. So ebay has some and ive found some on craigslist.

good luck on the search I can wait to get this one finished up and in the car.

my80bu

Weekend Racer
Oct 5, 2008
Belvidere IL
well I found out yesterday that this is a reman motor. It has heat plugs on the heads and 2 on the block so yeah im thinking this motor may have around 60k on it. I guess the 6.0 motors had a recall for piston slap and alot of them were rebuilt around 30-40k so this motor is alot fresher then i thought.

and i also got some a a LS6 ported oil pump for a $100, then some of the sensors that got burnt i was able to buy for $10 a piece. Then to top the sale off i bought a complete intake manifold off a truck for $50. The intake was a direct pull off complete with injectors, fuel rails, map sensor, and 90mm throttle body. found out that the truck intake is just as good as the LS6 intake and it provides more low end torque so I figure for $50 why the hell not id be dumb not to pass that deal up. So I have some updated pictures here so you can see the process.

just waiting for some money to buy the cam and install kit, along with other swap goodies.
in the pictures if you look on the heads and block youll see the silver heat plugs so they can tell if it overheated and the red strip on the heads has REM stamped. LOL and sorry abou the messy garage, been building the GF and circle track car and getting my jeep done so yeah lol its dirty.
002-4.jpg

003-4.jpg

004-3.jpg

009-3.jpg

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
Yeah the truck engines are pretty bad with that and they love to have problems with oil consumption. The truck intake you have was a steal! The LS6 is slightly better with a dyno tune but like you said, the truck intake has gobs of torque and at 50 bucks for a complete setup, you can't even find a set of injectors for $50. The 317 casting heads are definately the ones you want if you are spraying the car. Doing anything to the bottom end or keeping it stock?

my80bu

Weekend Racer
Oct 5, 2008
Belvidere IL
79loserbluebu said:
Yeah the truck engines are pretty bad with that and they love to have problems with oil consumption. The truck intake you have was a steal! The LS6 is slightly better with a dyno tune but like you said, the truck intake has gobs of torque and at 50 bucks for a complete setup, you can't even find a set of injectors for $50. The 317 casting heads are definately the ones you want if you are spraying the car. Doing anything to the bottom end or keeping it stock?
lol thats what i said, when he told me $50 complete i was like sold man take it out the truck lol.

as for the bottom end Im thinking stock for now but.... if I can sell my motor thats in the car now then a complete build up for forged goodies will go in it. Thinking a 408 or 418 cubin inch monster. We will see how the sell goes Ive got the motor listed on craigslist now so we will see.

Roller406Bu

Frequent Racer
Sep 10, 2003
Elizabethtown Ky
my80bu said:
talked with a good friend of mine who knows his LS1 stuff and he said to keep the 317 heads that for the money ill spend on a set of 243's i wont pick up much. Plus i plan on spraying the car so it will help with that. I was thinking about shaving the heads but if i do that then i have to run a smaller cam to compinsate for the material i take off the heads. So it looks like ill be running a pretty much Cam only LSX which might not be a bad thing cause I have a real good buddy who can tune.

388bu who did your wiring harness? we are doing a LS swap in a foxbody and i was telling him about your harness and he is interested in knowing where you had it done at.

just a couple things I'll comment on here....
1. These are 15 degree motors, clearance is not really an issue...I have a .650/.609 cam in my 6.0 and the heads are shaved .20 and still have room..With a nitrous combo like your wanting I'd rather have the 243's to bump the lousy 9.4 compression a lq4 has up. Do you get on LS1tech.com? If not you need to. I don't see any aftermarket companies selling ported and milled etc 317's, but you'll see a ton of 243 casting heads for sale that have been worked on any site. If you decide to keep the 317's it will still perform I went 10.70's with no tune on a 150 shot and a ms4 camshaft in a full interior 3480lb malibu...

my80bu

Weekend Racer
Oct 5, 2008
Belvidere IL
Roller406Bu said:
my80bu said:
talked with a good friend of mine who knows his LS1 stuff and he said to keep the 317 heads that for the money ill spend on a set of 243's i wont pick up much. Plus i plan on spraying the car so it will help with that. I was thinking about shaving the heads but if i do that then i have to run a smaller cam to compinsate for the material i take off the heads. So it looks like ill be running a pretty much Cam only LSX which might not be a bad thing cause I have a real good buddy who can tune.

388bu who did your wiring harness? we are doing a LS swap in a foxbody and i was telling him about your harness and he is interested in knowing where you had it done at.

just a couple things I'll comment on here....
1. These are 15 degree motors, clearance is not really an issue...I have a .650/.609 cam in my 6.0 and the heads are shaved .20 and still have room..With a nitrous combo like your wanting I'd rather have the 243's to bump the lousy 9.4 compression a lq4 has up. Do you get on LS1tech.com? If not you need to. I don't see any aftermarket companies selling ported and milled etc 317's, but you'll see a ton of 243 casting heads for sale that have been worked on any site. If you decide to keep the 317's it will still perform I went 10.70's with no tune on a 150 shot and a ms4 camshaft in a full interior 3480lb malibu...
Thanks for the info and yeah Im on LS1 tech been doing some research on there,

however i just pulled the heads and it will need a rebuild. Lucky for me the place i got it from has a warranty on it so Im going to call them tomorrow to see if im going to get a refund and or an exchange on the motor. Ill post pics up later but yeah she will need to have a rebuild :evil:

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bummer.... ](*,) Well, hopefully this will work out in your favor....

my80bu

Weekend Racer
Oct 5, 2008
Belvidere IL
Brown_Gbody said:
Bummer.... ](*,) Well, hopefully this will work out in your favor....
yeah i talked with them today and im sending pics of the engine to see what will happen. I think a refund will be coming and Ill keep the motor. I guess from what they were saying its cheaper to eat this one then it would be to send a good $1200 motor to me rather then refund the $600 i spend so we will see what happens.

Ill post pics this weekend of the cylinder

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts