fuel solenoid not working

glenh

Amateur Racer
Mar 14, 2008
Olive Hill,Ky
Just tonight I tried my nitrous setup after months of building my engine,installing,adding the n2o kit,etc.

I have the system wired through a relay with a toggle switch as an arming switch(to power up the relay)and my transbrake switch takes power away from the WOT switch when depressed,and sends power to the WOT switch when released,via the relay.

After trying the solenoids once to see if they would activate under WOT,I decided it best to prop the carb open(engine not running,of course) enough to see the spray bars of the plate without having to operate the carb each time,and activate the WOT switch by hand.

Fuel did not spray from the bar,as I had expected it to.I did install a seperate fuel system for the n2o,and I tried the fuel pressure at 5,6 and 7 psi,with no change.No fuel whatsoever,although I think I saw a very small stream of fuel the very first time I activated the solenoid by opening the carb to WOT.

Both the nitrous and fuel solenoids are being magnetized when the WOT switch is activated.The nitrous solenoid became very warm while performing this check,but the bottle was off,and I'm assuming that was the reason for the solenoid to heat up.I opened the bottle valve,and checked again,and the nitrous solenoid appears to be working as it should,but still no fuel.

Any ideas?

DFWMalibu

Dragway Regular
Dec 15, 2006
Dallas,Tx
does the fuel spray from the line when removed from the plate? I have heard of jets and fittings etc that weren't drilled all the way...

glenh

Amateur Racer
Mar 14, 2008
Olive Hill,Ky
DFWMalibu said:
does the fuel spray from the line when removed from the plate? I have heard of jets and fittings etc that weren't drilled all the way...

It was late when I discovered the problem,and I haven't removed any of the lines or anything yet.I'm gonna do that this morning.I'm pretty sure I looked at all the jets before I used any of them,but this kit has sat open for a while(although it has been used very little),and I don't think I checked all the lines to make sure they were clear.Hopefully it's that simple.Is it possible that the fuel pump is airlocked,and needs to be bled at the solenoid?If the solenoid is being magnetized when power is applied,it should be functioning,correct?(This is my first n2o experience).

Glen

DFWMalibu

Dragway Regular
Dec 15, 2006
Dallas,Tx
can you hear it click open or are you just testing with a test light? it's possible also that if fuel sat on the plunger for a long time that it could have swollen and is sticking the solenoid shut...

Chris K.

glenh

Amateur Racer
Mar 14, 2008
Olive Hill,Ky
DFWMalibu said:
can you hear it click open or are you just testing with a test light? it's possible also that if fuel sat on the plunger for a long time that it could have swollen and is sticking the solenoid shut...

Chris K.

I'm guessing the solenoid was stuck closed.I did get it working properly(at least for now).I didn't hear a clicking noise from the solenoid,but I do now,and fuel is spraying from the bar.When I first got the solenoid to spray fuel(line disconnected from the plate to check the jet,etc),it stuck open and let fuel run continuously.It seems to be free now and hopefully will be ok.

Now I have to get a few minor leaks sealed up on the nitrous side(didn't take into consideration the pressure difference between the nitrous and fuel sides,LOL).Will teflon tape be sufficient to seal the nitrous connections up?

Glen

DFWMalibu

Dragway Regular
Dec 15, 2006
Dallas,Tx
don't use teflon tape anywhere on the nitrous setup it will clog jets and hang solenoids open that it rule number 1... use teflon paste on all NPT connections nothing on flare... and I have even see people use loctite on the NPT connections but I have never had problems with the liquid teflon...

Chris K.

genericname

Daily Driver
Feb 3, 2010
BEMIDJI MINNESOTA
was the solenoid brand new? ive had that problem before too where they get kinda sticky, i just clicked them a bunch of times and they seem fine now. one thing you should always do before a race or any use of your nitrous is check to make sure your fuel noid is working properly, its easy enough to close your bottle, purge the nos from the line, hit the wot switch with the car running and it should stumble and die from the extra fuel. just kindof a peace of mind thing knowing your gonna have fuel there when you hit the giddyup button

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts