front calipers won't release

godjay

Amateur Racer
Nov 18, 2010
Rantoul, IL
I did a brake conversion to manual breaks with a kit that I seen on the site but its been so long I can't remember the name of the kit. When I did the conversion I noticed that the lines on the master cylinder had to be switched due to the size of brake lines. the brakes are all new rotors, calipers, pads, rubber lines. The car has set for a couple years after I did the conversion. Anyone have any ideas why this would happen? I have to use pry bar to get them to release every time. Thanks for the input.

Glenn

1980PontiacWagon

Frequent Racer
Feb 5, 2011
Northern Virginia
If they sat for a few years, moisture could of built up inside the caliper, causing the piston to rust to the inside of the caliper.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Sometimes bad hoses can cause that, too, but I find it hard to believe that they're both doing it considering it's somewhat rare...

Tommy

godjay

Amateur Racer
Nov 18, 2010
Rantoul, IL
Tomorrow I will pull off the calipers to inspect to see whats going on. Even thought the car was garage kept the rotors really had a lot of surface rust on them, so maybe the same with the calipers piston, but at the same time with new pads and rotors I wouldn't think the caliper piston would stick out that far for that to happen but I will check in see.

godjay

Amateur Racer
Nov 18, 2010
Rantoul, IL
Well I checked one side and noticed a lil over spray from painting the calipers, cleaned it up with brake fluid, still locking up like its on a line lock which I don't have. Any other suggestions? Please help trying to get her to the track this weekend for the first time and this is holding me up.

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
Master cylinder piston returning all the way?

Have you tried pushing the pedal and releasing it to make it lock up and open the bleeder screw to see of piston releases? That will eliminate the caliper, then do the same if it still locks up by unscrewing the line coming out of the master cylinder to eliminate the the lines or proportioning valve? Do one side at a time and work your way up to the source of where it all begins.

As mentioned earlier with the caliper piston sticking, have you tried to remove one brake pad and push the brakes to extend the piston a bit further than it's usual operating position? If there is a light bit of rust down by the o-ring you won't see it and may have to pop the piston out and lightly sand or buff the rust out....save removing the piston for last resort though.

godjay

Amateur Racer
Nov 18, 2010
Rantoul, IL
Ok good news finally after trying everything.....I had taken my brake pedal out a few years back to paint it up and come to find out when I put it back in I had tighten the brake pedal a hair to tight for it fully retrieve back to release position. This really had me bugged. Thanks for all the feedback.

Glenn

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Glad you got it without major repairs!

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts