front brake upgrade question

dwkohout

Frequent Racer
Sep 25, 2004
Albany,MN
LS6 Tommy said:
Tech tip: If you are looking for 12 inch discs off of a donor car, do not use police or taxicab spindles. The lower ball joint tapers are too big and will not work. The ball joints for those vehicles can not be machined down to fit your control arm either.

Astro van use the same spindles. Its possible to use them like I did. I whipped up some thin sleeves.

It's roughly 3/8", not 1"...

X2. On my Olds anyway even with the wider track I had less tire rubbing do to the neg camber curve.

Imo I wouldn't do the b-body swap if the added bump steer isn't corrected.

dwkohout

Frequent Racer
Sep 25, 2004
Albany,MN
Bumpsteer is the change of toe during suspension travel. My first experience with bumpsteer in large dips in the road my car felt like it wanted to change lanes. I corrected it be lowering the inner tierod. I used my works alignment rack to minimalize toe change. The draglink is mild steel and welds easily. Marcus at SCandC has seen this pic, it gets him pretty wound up... :lol: :lol:

dwkohout

Frequent Racer
Sep 25, 2004
Albany,MN
Reading online for yrs about this swap some have experienced bumpsteer and some don't. There are quite afew more options out these days vs 10-15yrs ago. It all just cost $$$. You just need to get a second job... #-o :D

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Here's my fix...

built

Dragway Regular
Apr 15, 2005
ohio
so do you guys say I will have bump steer problems with the b body swap and will have to change drag link and tie rods parts ?

what problem did you have Tommy to make you upgrade

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I won't say there isn't a change in bump steer, but it's nowhere near as big of a deal as people make it out to be. Sometimes I wonder if people complain about it just because once it's been pointed it out they start thinking it's worse than the stock suspension bump steer. I bet most never even noticed it before they changed the spindles because they didn't know what was really going on. I did the modified center link because I could, not because it was absolutely necessary. It was one of those "I wonder if I can improve this" kind of things. Don't let the minor bump steer change scare you away from an otherwise really decent upgrade.

Tommy

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
X2 what Tommy said.....did the swap years ago and really can't say the slight increase, if any, in bumpsteer is an issue for me. It was the only big brake option at the time that fit my budget. Nice drag link mod Tommy. Alittle more detail sometime would be cool, unless there's a thread on here somewhere.

Steve

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
No thread. I got it from someone else. Other than the fact that my setup allows the bump steer to be adjustable, I actually like dwkohout's mod better as it keeps the tie rod ends horizontal. There's no binding anywhere in my setup, but having the ends in the stock alignment is nice.

Tommy

dwkohout

Frequent Racer
Sep 25, 2004
Albany,MN
nillabu said:
X2 what Tommy said.....did the swap years ago and really can't say the slight increase, if any, in bumpsteer is an issue for me. It was the only big brake option at the time that fit my budget. Nice drag link mod Tommy. Alittle more detail sometime would be cool, unless there's a thread on here somewhere.

Steve

You're not very far away. Would be interesting to se how my car rides compares to yours.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts