Frame bracing ????'s for full notch

malibulvr

Pro Stocker
Mar 22, 2008
Pensacola, Fl. 32526
I have a '69-'70 chevelle 12-bolt stock length and I'm using 15x10 wheels w/ 6.5" backspacing. I had 15x8.5 wheels w/ 5" backspacing before and I measured as well as I could and think they will fit. I am planning on notching the frame almost all the way to the inner skin and only leave a slight lip maybe 1/8" or so, and only box in the main rails at the front and rear of the wheelwell. I had some 1 5/8" .134 wall round tube bent to match the rails and I'll weld that to the inner side of the frame where ever I don't have a crossmember for a little extra strength. Got that idea from the "project grandma" thread, and yeah I've heard that I don't really need it, but my wife wants to run this thing a little and I want it as strong as possible without tire rubbing! My car is in no way to be a show car so I'm just going to cut the factory fenderwells out and move them inward and weld a piece back in. I have yet to find anyone who has a notch with the 325/50 drag radials and if there are any they won't post any pics, so I'm just going to go with it this way I guess. I do appreciate the guys with the 295/65's but that is a little different than what I have and won't look the same or sit the same. I think Tom's Malibu with the Greg Weld dragstars is the closest thing to what I am doing , but my tires will have a little extra section width. wish me luck!

Jordan81

Pro Stocker
Feb 10, 2004
wichita, ks
shotgun said:
There are pics of 2 different cars ( Grand Prix and Cutlass) that I posted.

Not a rollcage but a rollbar.

But to answer your question, the pic of the rollbar is in the Cutlass that got the "bumper" brace also.

They don't leave much more level then this!

928232261308_0_BG1-1.jpg

thats with no ARB?

malibulvr

Pro Stocker
Mar 22, 2008
Pensacola, Fl. 32526
The '69-'70 Chevelle 12-bolt is approx 2" wider total end to end than the stock 7.5 10-bolt in the malibu. With a stock width 7.5 10-bolt a 10" wide 6.5" backspace wheel will not fit as far as I can tell without moving the entire frame rail over about three inches or more. By my measurements My 325/50 tires should just barely clear with a full notch to the inner skin. Most of the guys with the "stock length" rear ends I think run a 5.5" backspacing 10" wide wheel. Good luck. As soon I can make some progress I will ad some pics, We keep having marginal to bad weather here, and I am working outside.

Jordan81, no ARB per se.

I adapted an Fbody bar to the rear.

Read here: http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75929

As far as wheel back spacing. The notch is the pictures on my GP.
It is a 68 12bolt with aluminum drums (they are thicker).
With 6.5 back spacing on a 15 x10 rim, 29.5x10.5x15 slicks tuck in just fine.

May be able to get more tire but have to finish it first!

Jordan81

Pro Stocker
Feb 10, 2004
wichita, ks
now thats backyard engineering... petty good idea if you ask me. i might have try tha if i ever build another wagon

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts