flat topped pistons vs dished on 60 bore and gas effect

frost1085

Amateur Racer
Feb 2, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
bracketchev1221 said:
Go with the flat top pistons. A flat top, small chamber head is more efficient than a large chamber big dome setup. The chip is not an issue, if it does not go into the water jacket. Maybe, see is you can get a dremel tool in there and smooth out any sharp edges on it to stop any crack formations.

ok, thanks, i do have a dremel that is small, what tip should i use to smooth it down sand paper i have the 12 grits. and also should i just work the top of it and not the front of it right.

frost1085

Amateur Racer
Feb 2, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
and i forgot to add the cam i have the comp cam 12-242-2 cam someone said that will also tell me what my compression will be, with the flat topped pistons and the tbi heads.

this car will be my daily driver and thats y i was trying to stay with pump gas

frost1085

Amateur Racer
Feb 2, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
bracketchev1221 said:
Go with the flat top pistons. A flat top, small chamber head is more efficient than a large chamber big dome setup. The chip is not an issue, if it does not go into the water jacket. Maybe, see is you can get a dremel tool in there and smooth out any sharp edges on it to stop any crack formations.

so should i go with a half moon shape when i grind it like in the pix

Attachments

• pix (Small).jpg
    pix (Small).jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 2,268

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
frost1085 said:
and i forgot to add the cam i have the comp cam 12-242-2 cam someone said that will also tell me what my compression will be, with the flat topped pistons and the tbi heads.

this car will be my daily driver and thats y i was trying to stay with pump gas

Yes, the Cam affects Effective/Dynamic Compression Ratio. There are many online Cr. calculators. 1st & 2nd one down here >> http://www.kb-silvolite.com/calc.php
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=86&sb=0
I don't know why Comp doesn't give the Valve Timing events @.050" Lift. :roll: They make you work for it. There's a thread on Hotrodders.com that has the Info to figure it out, convert .006" to .050" specs.

frost1085

Amateur Racer
Feb 2, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
and does any one now were should the bearings holes be facing when i put them in especially number one becouse it has to holes

1-5

oclock positions with the block upside down

and number one's both hole position

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts