Edelbrock RPM air gap manifold

mebe007

Amateur Racer
Oct 16, 2009
Eastern Virginia
i dont have the airgap, but the standard rpm and it clears just fine with a drop base and 3" element. they are the same runners on both manifolds. so install with confidence. it should fit fine.

HP JUNKEY

Dragway Regular
Oct 30, 2008
Buffalo.NY
I ran the Edelbrock RPM for 1 season and then switched to the RPM Air Gap on my 355, used my 750 Holley, Drop base 3" element air cleaner and there is no clearance issues with my stock hood, I even tried a 1/2" spacer under the carb last year and my hood still closed fine. No spacers in the rear of my hood and I removed the under hood insulation. Works for me!
Direct from Edelbrocks web site, they say the height measurement of the RPM Air Gap #7501 is the same as the non-air gap RPM #7101. Here is the link
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/manifolds/chevy/rpm_air_gap-sb.shtml

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
well i revisited mine to see if mine would make it without the rear spacers..it will not..not sure why but it wont??..i have new poly motor mounts..idk..i pulled the stud and left the air cleaner on..hood wont close..hits in the front about 3/8 before it closes?? hmmmmm

Damon

Pro Stocker
Feb 7, 2005
Philly Area
i have new poly motor mounts

That could very well be the reason why.

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
yea i'm thinking it must be...as it looks like i have the same drop base as 1980PontiacWagon..maybe after those mount settle (?) a little maybe i can remove the spacers??

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
SSedan64 said:
Those Poly mounts are known to be thicker, Trans mounts also. They don't settle like Rubber either.

I can't see how they're thicker. They reuse the steel halves from a stock mount...

Tommy

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Yes, but the cushion floats inside the shells. I would hope that the initial poly assembly matches closely to the original rubber assembly, but will not settle/squash like the rubber one, which may result in the engine sitting higher in the bay.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
Tommy&T5 both have good points.in my 82 camino i had those poly insert motor mounts and trans mount w/my rpm'ed air gaped sbc.i ran that same edelbrock drop base part store air cleaner with a one inch spacer and had no clearance issues with a holley or the carter carb.i can't help but wonder what variables make up for the hood interference :-k on this one.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
t5montecarlo said:
Yes, but the cushion floats inside the shells. I would hope that the initial poly assembly matches closely to the original rubber assembly, but will not settle/squash like the rubber one, which may result in the engine sitting higher in the bay.

Maybe. I don't recall much settling of stockers. COuld be wrong. I have poly mounts & I'm going to run my 454 witha stock GM HP dual plane & Cowl Induction. I hope it all clears...

TOmmy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts