Edelbrock RPM air gap manifold

xxxx

Amateur Racer
Jan 10, 2006
Iowa
Anybody running an RPM air gap manifold? I have one, but haven't got the engine (sbc) in the car yet. Will this setup work with a stock hood, or will I have to go with a 2" or more cowl type hood.

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
yep, i have this manifold on my 383...with a drop base air cleaner 3 inch element(i think).. i had to run a spacer in the back hood spring bolt..but it clears with the stock hood..now this is an old school trick for clearance ..some folks dont like the look...i can get a pic of it..and double check the element thickness etc...

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
yes its a 3" element, with a 1/2 spacer in the rear hood mounting bolt...clears...barely..i can send you a pic if you want me too..just pm me with your reg.email addy..good luck

xxxx

Amateur Racer
Jan 10, 2006
Iowa
Thanks for the info. I would rather not have my hood sticking up, so I guess it will have to be a cowl hood then.

1980PontiacWagon

Frequent Racer
Feb 5, 2011
Northern Virginia
What motor mounts are you using?? It should fit..I run bbc with the air gap intake holley carb,1/2 spacer on top of carb, drop base with a 14x3 filter and iit fits under my stock hood using stock sbc motor mounts.it fits with liitterly no room to spare, but it fits.

xxxx

Amateur Racer
Jan 10, 2006
Iowa
I'll be using the mounts that came out of a scrapped V-8 El Camino. It sure would be nice if it fit without having to spend the coin for a cowl hood. I want a cowl hood anyway, but would rather not spend $400+ for a new hood at this time. I forgot to mention I will be running vortec heads if they make any difference in height.

1980PontiacWagon

Frequent Racer
Feb 5, 2011
Northern Virginia
I'm not sure if the vortec heads will make a difference or not, but it should fit, you just have to chose the right air filter set up

1980PontiacWagon

Frequent Racer
Feb 5, 2011
Northern Virginia
This is my drop base
DSC_7887.jpg

I have a K&N 14x3 filter with a breath threw top

DSC_7549.jpg

Let me know if you need/want any pictures of anything else. Or if you have any questions.

xxxx

Amateur Racer
Jan 10, 2006
Iowa
Thanks again, I wouldn't mind that air filter setup at all if I can make it fit.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts