Difference in drop spindle, and drop springs

Barry 85 SS

Frequent Racer
Aug 8, 2005
Newport News, Va
If you put the tall lower rate springs in with the dropped spindles, the car would set too low,( like Todd said), I have dropped spindles but I wanted the car a little lower so I cut my stock springs,(which increases the rate), so I don't have a lot of stored energy and don't get a lot of front end rise. Now I want to go to the Camaro spindles and coilovers, but a lot of people say the QA1's aren't that great for drag racing and I don't want to spend too much money for a car thats mostly a street car . Not sure what to do yet.

A

Anonymous

a multi rate spring that stores alot of energy but sits a hair lower than stock would give the ability to sit lower, but raise up under acceleration and hold the front up and not slam back down when you come off the go pedal.
if dude is gettin upset with a conversational thread, then maybe he shouldnt read them. let alone put in his $.02. maybe he was misunderstood, maybe he phrased it not the best way, dont know, dont care, this whole site is so people can ask q's and get some input to learn. i think we have all put quite a bit of thought into this thread, i like it, and hope someone learned something about whatever. :D

red barn

Frequent Racer
Mar 5, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Drop spindles work fine on a drag car. I the moog V6 front springs with drop spindles in my car. The V6 springs compress under the big block and store energy. I wanted my car to sit a bit lower......
So rather than cut the springs (creating a stiffer rate and less stored enegy), or use a shorter spring I went with a drop spindle and left the spring alone. My car is by no means a rocket ship, but it has cut nothing but 1.51-1.52 60' all season.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
See, I've never understood where the stiffer rate supposedly comes from by just cutting the spring. It's shorter, but that's about it. The metallurgy and wire diameter are exactly the same, it's just x amount shorter shrug.gif

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
As far as the actual physics behind it, I dont know or cant explain it, But I do know that when you cut a coil spring you increase it's stiffness.

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA and Philly Area
StreetBu said:
As far as the actual physics behind it, I dont know or cant explain it, But I do know that when you cut a coil spring you increase it's stiffness.

You decrease the potential energy in the spring when you cut it if I am thinking correctly. This is because the displacement of the spring from equilibrium would be less if it is made shorter, and the same weight is applied to it.

U=1/2k(x^2)

U - Potential Energy
k - spring constant
x - displacement from equilibrium

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I still don't see how distance from equilibrium is any different between two separate springs of different length that have the same spring rate, i.e. a 100 lb/in spring will compress the same whether it is 8" tall or 15" tall, the variable k is what would need to change for the spring to be stiffer. The only way I see k changing is the metallurgy of the spring itself, or the wire diameter/number of coils per inch.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Here ya go Doober: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070810093409AAI1bP8

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts