Difference in drop spindle, and drop springs

bbc-olds

Frequent Racer
Jun 7, 2008
Malin OR
Why not drop spindles on a drag car?? Have them on mine and car goes straight and handles good at 120 mph.

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
bbc-olds said:
Why not drop spindles on a drag car?? Have them on mine and car goes straight and handles good at 120 mph.

It has nothing to do with handling and everything to do with traction.

For the same given ride height, the stock spindle car will have the coil spring compressed more which stores more energy. The more stored energy, the more it will release on launch which is what helps transfer weight. A dropped spindle reduces how much the coil spring is compressed (for the same given ride height) which reduces weight tranfer which can cause traction inconsistency issues, especially in mid & lower powered cars.

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA and Philly Area
10secbu. I am interested in more details on what you are saying about the drop spindles. I have 2" drops on my car and am curious. Isn't the spring compressed the same with either spindle?...the only thing that is different is where the shaft comes out on the spindle itself?

Not g-body spindles, but you can see what I mean; drop spindle would be the one on the left where the shaft comes out closer to the top of the spindle rather than the bottom.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/__6PvoQFE5Js/SmYH0zDmDWI/AAAAAAAABI8/sHirx4FE0to/IMG_6293.JPG

Thanks

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Unless the ball joint distance is different between the original and drop spindle, I don't see there being any difference in spring compression. The shaft the rotor rides on is basically moved up 2", I don't know if anything else is changed on the spindle.

A

Anonymous

spring compression IS NOT changed with dropped spindles. it only changes the position of the rotor and wheel in a lateral measurement to the rest of the suspension. yes dropped spindles will change your active center of gravity and weight transfer, but that is all, except of course a lower front stance. instant center is changed and a less effective weight transfer is consequence.... lower the whole shootin match and give er h e double hockey sticks :D it will corner better, but straight line performance may suffer.

HarrisonTX

Top Fueler
Jul 11, 2003
Burleson TX
Very interesting responses!

Im not really looking to improve handling, and it for sure is a straight line car.

So stock height cars will launch better than lowered cars?
Is there a drag race friendly way to lower the car, or should i just stick with where it is now?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I believe most of the time launches suffer is because most of the time the car is lowered with stiffer springs, which allow less stored energy for the launch (taller, lower spring rate springs will help transfer weight to the rear better, but affect everyday driving to a point). I honestly don't believe it will affect your current setup much, but take it with a grain of salt due to my lack of drag racing experience ;) My understanding is a car will plant the tires a little better if the LCAs are close to parallel to the ground, which requires the rear to be lowered a bit. This is why you see those Lakewood no-hop bars:
21610.jpg

It has to do with how instant-center of the car affects weight transfer. There's a lot of math behind it, and I haven't researched it enough to understand it :p

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
Read what I said...FOR THE SAME RIDE HEIGHT...the amount the spring is compressed will be different.

The way I ran my front suspension with Moroso coils was it had 1/2 to 3/4" of clearance between the lower a-arm bump stop and the frame. You could barely get a floor jack under the front frame cradle. If you had a drop spindle with the same coil spring, you would not be able to jack the front end up. With the drop spindle you would then have to run a higher rate coil spring to lift it back up to the height mine was set at which means the coil spring would no longer be compressed as much reducing stored energy, not to mention the spring is stiffer...drag racing (low/mid power) is all about tall/light weight coils to store energy and transfer weight. Traction comes more from the front suspension than it does from the rear.

I'm done with this thread as either some guys don't get what I'm trying to say, or I'm not explaining it properly...not wirth arguing over.

bye bye.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I don't think anyone was arguing the point, just looking at it from different points of view. I did go back & read your post again, and he is looking to lower it slightly (and it also looks like he's trying to keep weight transfer up as well), so spindles would be the sensible choice.
10secBu said:
With the drop spindle you would then have to run a higher rate coil spring to lift it back up to the height mine was set at which means the coil spring would no longer be compressed as much reducing stored energy
Have people gone with a drop spindle, then used a tall/low rate spring to bring back the height lost with the spindle? In my mind this would give the front more stored energy to lift the front.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts