Column Shift PowerGlide Help

attngtr

Frequent Racer
Sep 20, 2007
Eastern Iowa
Has anyone used a powerglide that was column shifted in a Malibu. I want to do it but am not sure how to connect the linkage up to the glide. Is there a special bracket that is needed on for the glide?

makurtz

Weekend Racer
I used to run a fabbed lever on the transmission to hook-up the stock linkage. Since I changed headers, the 4 1/2" collectors got in the way. So, now I run a Morse cable from the column lever down to the transmission. I use a universal shift lever on the transmission facing up with a bracket from a "rear exit" shifter.
Also I modified the detent gate inside the column so that I dont over shift past high gear.

shifter%20cable%20pics%20007.jpg

shifter%20cable%20pics%20006.jpg

shifter%20cable%20pics%20008.jpg

DSCN0905.JPG

COPO 572

Dragway Regular
Mar 23, 2004
Morrisville, NC 27560
I did something similar on the column end. Here's a shot of the transmission side.

translinkage4.jpg

makurtz

Weekend Racer
Here is a pic of my shifter lever. Like I said just a universal bolt-on lever. The bracket is still attached to the cable under the car. It bolts to left rear corner of the pan rail and routs the cable similiar to COPO 572's.

[
trans%20interior%20pics%20001.jpg

trans%20interior%20pics%20002.jpg

Here is a more recent pic with the race pak dash installed. The button on the shift lever is my roll control. Trans brake button in mounted next to the seat on the floor hump.

trans%20interior%20pics%20003.jpg

84Monte

Amateur Racer
Jul 2, 2004
Texas
www.freewebs.com
Wow that race pack fits really nice in the factory dash! I always love the stuff you do to make your Monte look like a 12 sec car. lol

Are you planning to be at the river March 28th for the lil pooch race? I hope to see the car and you.

-Mark

makurtz

Weekend Racer
I plan on being at the Temple race but the car has no motor in it right now.

fatboy

Weekend Racer
Dec 8, 2009
Great Bend, Kansas
Can this be done to accomidate a 700r4? I am very interested in measurements and how the column was modified on the shifter detent. I wonder if a shifter detent from the factory is available and what part number that would be. The car is a 79 and it is getting a LT1-700r4 out of a 93 firebird. Thanks for the help!!!

makurtz

Weekend Racer
I'd imagin that all you would need is the shifter detent from inside an old '84 up o/d steering column. I think all the linkage is the same. The linkage bracket that bolts to the frame may be different. Can't remember...

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts