color sanding question!

FOFITTYFO

Frequent Racer
Jul 5, 2009
Van, Tx.
What grit sandpaper do you guys think I need to use while wet sanding before buffing? 1000? 1200? Any help will be appreciated. Just removing a mild orange peel. Acrylic enamel paint. Thanks!

DFWMalibu

Dragway Regular
Dec 15, 2006
Dallas,Tx
I always used 2000 but I am a not a professional by no means...... the finer you use the less likely you are to go through the clear....

Chris K.

80montecarlo

Dragway Regular
Apr 24, 2008
cloverdale b.c. canada
x2

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
Catch 22

The finer the paper, the longer to sand, easier to buff
The coarser the paper, the easier to sand, longer to buff

We generally use 1200 or 1500 on BC/CC

It's not a single stage metallic, is it? You really don't want to cut that very much.

FOFITTYFO

Frequent Racer
Jul 5, 2009
Van, Tx.
No it's just what I guess you'd call single stage acrylic enamel, '06 corvette arctic white. It turned out well but with a bit of orange peel. I thank you all for the very helpful info. This weekend I'm gonna attack it then buff it out! Btw, I am Not a paint and body guy as ya'll can probably tell by the dumb question. ](*,)

bukweet

Top Fueler
Mar 22, 2005
Mississippi Gulf Coast
I'd give that paint a while before I'd sand and buff it. =;

Unless things have changed in it's properties, acrylic enamel color coats need some flash/cure time before being finished(cut and buffed). :-k

It's been a while for me since holding a spray gun.

Check with your supplier or someone on here can chime in.

bukweet

scuba_steve's_bu

Frequent Racer
Apr 9, 2009
Rock Rapids, Iowa
if it is already painted, you should be ok to wet sand it this weekend.

FOFITTYFO

Frequent Racer
Jul 5, 2009
Van, Tx.
The paint has been on it now for 8 days and I let it sit in the sun for 5 days to cure. Is that enough time to cure? I thought it was. The paint brand is Valspar. Again thanks to you guys for ALL the info! =D>

80montecarlo

Dragway Regular
Apr 24, 2008
cloverdale b.c. canada
be sure to use the palm of your hand not your fingers

BMR Sales

Frequent Racer
Nov 20, 2008
It should be fine to buff out now. If the car has heavy orange peel and your trying to get it completely flat you can start off with 1000 then go to 1500 then 2000. The finer the final grit of the paper you use last the easier it will buff up. If you don't have much peel then 1500 or even 2000 is a good paper to start out with. Use a soft block when you sand and stay away from the edges. Good luck.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts