BRAKES

DeltaT

Dragway Regular
Oct 28, 2003
Nor Cal
You are correct:

WILWOOD RESIDUAL PRESSURE VALVES:
These in-line pressure valves retain a minimum brake line pressure to help eliminate excessive pedal travel in both disc and drum brake systems.

The two pound valve is used in disc brake applications where the master cylinder is mounted below the horizontal plane of the calipers and fluid drain back occurs from gravity and vibration, thereby causing excessive caliper piston retraction and a longer brake pedal stroke. The minimal two pound residual pressure prevents fluid from flowing back without causing the brakes to drag. With drum brakes, a ten pound valve is used to compensate for return spring tension in the drums. Residual Pressure Valves are made from billet aluminum and color coded for easy identification. Ideal for drag racing, street rod and many off road applications.

Good catch!

I would only be right if it were 4-wheel discs.

Jim

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
John, where did you get the AN conversion fittings on your master cylinder? I got the Steel Concepts conversion, and would like to plumb it like you have in the picture. Thanks for the picture!

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Oh yeah.... It says in the instructions from Travis (Steel Concepts) that it requires the residual valve if running drum rears.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
The residual valve is used to overcome the spring tension on the drums.

Tommy

JRodS79

Pro Stocker
Nov 28, 2005
kansas city mo
k tell me (anyone) if im pointed in the right direction

front stock brakes
rear metric conversion ( same calipers as front)
stock master cyl
stock brake booster
11 in vac at idle
soft pedal
going to install 2lb res valve inline for rear brakes
seems the rear calipers are pulling too far back causing the pedal to be low

thanks for the help

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
J-ROD'S 79 said:
k tell me (anyone) if im pointed in the right direction

front stock brakes
rear metric conversion ( same calipers as front)
stock master cyl
stock brake booster
11 in vac at idle
soft pedal
going to install 2lb res valve inline for rear brakes
seems the rear calipers are pulling too far back causing the pedal to be low

thanks for the help

Get a disc/disc master cylinder and a disc/disc combo valve. The stock disc/drum master cylindercannot supply enough fluid volume to the rear calipers. That's why you have a soft pedal. the stock combo valve wwill cause rear wheel lock up too early when you get the right master cylinder.

Tommy

JRodS79

Pro Stocker
Nov 28, 2005
kansas city mo
i see. i had a moment i didnt read the second page before i posted. my bad :roll:

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
As far as problems with brake stuff from MP, I bought all my brake parts from them for the 72 Nova that I used to own. They used to be right here on Long Island. My buddy knew the owner. Nice guy, gave me really great parts for a really decent price. The calipers were powder coated ! I mean really good parts. Went in and worked with no problems. 2 weeks ago I called them looking for parts for my 81 malibu. Master, calipers, booster and just about every other brake part on the car. I was told they had NOTHING for my year car. The sales guy told me 77 and older. I even called a second time the following week, got another guy and he told me the same thing. I was shocked, since I thought they sold brake parts for even late model cars. I guess things have changed. So I have things coming from OPG, Inline Tube, Summit and a place called the Tire Rack. I think I found a place for a new booster. Has anyone bought from Pirate Jack in Asheville NC ?? They have a crapload of boosters and they seem pretty fair with price ? Any good or bad about them ??

JRodS79

Pro Stocker
Nov 28, 2005
kansas city mo
well then im sold on the steel concepts conversion kit

tommy or anyone where do i find the disk/disk portion valve and how much?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts