BRAKES

540Malibu

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Shrews., MA
i run a single adjustable valve in the rear and my car out stops new camaro's on dry pavement.

A

Anonymous

thanks everyone for your input!!! safety IS FIRST!! i can't afford having no brakes traveling the speeds this season and having no brakes.. had a friend of mine last season compromise stopping power for cheap components and needless to say he's done racing when at 135 he tackled the hay bails to the end of national trail dragway in columbus, ohio! thanks again guys!

Doug Keen

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Central, Illinois
If you are running the wilwood m/c that is included with the Steel Concepts kit, you don't need to run a prop. valve. The only thing you may need is a pair of light weight residual valves if you are running rear drum brakes. The way it is setup you have got to replum your brakes anyway, b/c of funky fitting sizes. I contacted wilwood on this topic and that is what they told me to do. The line closest to the firewall goes to the rear brakes and the front fitting goes to the front brakes, and they split the ratios up in the m/c. BTW AGAIN THIS IS INFO I RECEIVED FROM WILWOOD, NOT SOME BACK YARD ENGINEERING I THUNK UP MYSELF, AND WHEN I SPOKE TO THEM ABOUT IT THE RECOMENDATIONS WERE MADE ON THE BASIS THAT MY CAR IS A RACE VEHICLE NOT A STREET VEHICLE.

DeltaT

Dragway Regular
Oct 28, 2003
Nor Cal
Do you need the disc/disc prop valve when doing the manual conversion even with a stock disc/drum setup?

No, not if you are keeping the disc/drum combo.

Jim

A

Anonymous

wiseman79 said:
I'm being told though that I will need a residual valve for the rears, is this right. If so I looked at a 10lb wilwood piece for drums, is this what I need?

Probably.... I'm not familiar with the master you are running but. When you run a 4 wheel disc brake master cylinder on a car with drums on the rear then a 10# residual pressure valve is needed. Otherwise you will have a low pedal that pumps up. Sometimes aftermarket masters won't have any residual pressure valves built in at all and may require a 2# valve on the disc brakes also to give a good pedal. HTH.

5-door

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 23, 2004
Cottage Grove, MN
www.jtraceshop.com
wiseman79 said:
I'm being told though that I will need a residual valve for the rears, is this right. If so I looked at a 10lb wilwood piece for drums, is this what I need?
That's exactly how mine is. You can see the red 10# residual valve mounted to the firewall for my rear brakes.

5door_69.jpg

DeltaT

Dragway Regular
Oct 28, 2003
Nor Cal
You should only need the residual valves if your master cylinder is below the calipers - Even Wilwood says this on their site. Otherwise gravity keeps fluid throughout the low part of the system.

Jim

5-door

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 23, 2004
Cottage Grove, MN
www.jtraceshop.com
DeltaT said:
You should only need the residual valves if your master cylinder is below the calipers - Even Wilwood says this on their site. Otherwise gravity keeps fluid throughout the low part of the system.

Jim
When I was planning out my braking system, I read on Wilwood's website that a 10# residual valve should be used on drums no matter what. So, I put one in.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts