Bore?

Deuce4935

Frequent Racer
Nov 19, 2007
Chicago, Il
Good Sunday morning fellas. Once again I'm in need of some numerical help. If i take a 454 from the stock 4.250 bore to 4.500 bore, how much of an over bore will that be?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
It'll be WAY too much, it's .250 over...

Tommy

gbodydude540ci

Weekend Racer
Jun 23, 2008
scranton,pa
get it sonic check and maybe you can go to .125.which is 4.350 bore.you might have to fill the block also.i took my big block to .60 and added a stroker crankshaft.it makes 496 cubes.

CNC BLOCKS

Amateur Racer
Jun 12, 2005
NORTHEAST
WWW.CNCBLOCKSNORTHEAST.COM
I doubt a 454 block will go to 4.500 bore as we just sonic tested a 454 for a customer to build a 496 and one cylinder at .060 over would have been only .174 on the thrust side. On the nest block it was .228 at .060 on the thinnest cylinder.

Dart is now offering to the end user 250.00 rebate on blocks bought before the end of Sept. if that helps

Deuce4935

Frequent Racer
Nov 19, 2007
Chicago, Il
The block isnt a traditional bbc, its the Vortec 8100, which is a tall deck block with a 4.250 bore, and a 4.370 stroke which makes it a 496. From what ive read, the blocks walls are suppose to be very thick but not siamesed (whatever that means).

And one last thing. I know not too mant people are familiar with this engine and for those who are, the opinions are all over the place when it comes to the engines potential. I got this engine complete over a year ago for $600 with everything still attached to it and 6x,*** miles. My cousin and I are trying to put together a turbo build for it and then drop it in his 87' 442. The only reason i'm interested in increasing the bore size is because its a known fact that the stock rods and pistons dont like to be revved past 5grand, so why not squeeze more cubes out?

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
You have my interest.
I've always heard the 8.1 were totaly different and not much would interchange, but I would like to know for sure.

Deuce4935

Frequent Racer
Nov 19, 2007
Chicago, Il
I'm not sure that the other heads and intakes would button up, but you can use a traditional bbc cam and have the pcm tuned for the trad bbc firing order. It also has a provision at the rear of the block for a distributor, but we're keeping the individual coil setup. I've read that the stock heads have good potential to be performers with some cleanup work, valves and spring upgrade which is the way we're going. And depending on how good the boss is to me this year with my bonus, we may end up getting a custom Hogans, or Wilson manifold fabbed up. You know how you get that feeling when you're satrting a project and you're ready to go against the grain? Thats how i'm feeling with this build, these engines are making incredible power in the marine versions, and they're pulling 4-ton trucks without any hesitation. I think i'm onto something here. Too bad its not being built for my Mali!

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
No doubt the 8.1 makes amazing torque. A Friend of mine had a 4 door ramp truck pulling a 2 car tailer to the Daytona Turkey run. It would pull a whole lot faster the it would stop.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts