blown motor or just serious fuel tank issue???

monte87LS

Weekend Racer
Jan 29, 2008
Marlton,NJ
about 3 weeks ago I was at the gas station up the street and the damn indian heard the pump stop at $8 but for some reason decided to sqeeze the last gallon in anyway click by click til it reached $10 (dumb **** dont know what "NO!!!" means...I put $10 in everytime I drive her cause my gas gauge is broke (becuase I hooked a vacuam line to the tank and it ended up sucking the tank in (dented in).(long story).I removed the vacuam but its still dented in so the gas gauge dont work...since then everytime the last gallon of gas gets sqeezed in she trys to stall so I need to keep the RPMs up a bit, give her a few revs and she'l be fine again...but this time as the last gallon of gas got sqeezed in she tryed to stall like always but got worse and was puffing alot of white smoke out the passangers side exhuast (true dual)(smelled like gas bad)..drove her straight home puddering bad and she stalled in the driveway once I let off the gas pedal...I started her up again but less smoke out the passangers side exhaust..all plugs were black..(she sat for 3 weeks) yesterday I changed the plugs and started her up, no smoke, ran ok but smelled like gas bad!...let her idle for 5 minutes then took her around the block but half way around she started studdering again so I pulled her rite back into the driveway and she stalled, still no smoke, checked the new plugs and they smelled like gas...WTF!...fliuds are not contaminated,no overheating, cap and rotor are fine, carb is fine, I bought a compression tester but it doesnt clear my headers, I have to take off my headers and exhaust on my back in the driveway...I need some opinions here, what could it be?...she ran perfectly fine until that last gallon of gas was sqeezed in!?...what could the last gallon on gas do to make her do this, I checked all the plugs I just replaced (after one slow lap around the block) and they are all soaked in gas!..any help will help alot, thanks

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
i would try checking the 4 pin module in the distributor, coil. did the car ever backfire on you, maybe check the power valve. maybe moisture in the line.

art

Amateur Racer
Aug 8, 2008
Mastic, New York 11950
If you still have the charcoal can and all that stuff, It sounds like it is pulling raw fuel from the vent line. I cannot say I have ever heard of it happening, but the lines are all there so in my mind, it could happen. White smoke is usually water so I'm not sure what that was about.

art

Amateur Racer
Aug 8, 2008
Mastic, New York 11950
Y'know I just thought about this again. If the bottom of your tank is pulled in, I would think the top is too. (from the vaccuum episode) You may wanna drop the tank and see just what is going on.

A

Anonymous

Did you check the fuel filter to see if you picked up something in the gas from the pump

Toner283

Amateur Racer
Aug 23, 2008
Arthur, Ontario, Canada
drain (siphon) a couple of gallons of fuel from the tank & try again, like art said, might be sucking fuel in the vent line. keep an eye on the engine oil, if you thin it out with gasoline you will wipe out the bottom end bearings in nothing flat.

monte87LS

Weekend Racer
Jan 29, 2008
Marlton,NJ
cool thanks for the info...I forget what the top of the tank looks like on a Monte, where is the vent, what does it look like, what does it do exactly, and what could it cause it to dump fuel into my motor...could I trouble shoot by just unsrewing the gas cap and letting her idle...and if my oil is filled with gas should I even waste my time changing the oil and driving her again or is the motor shot...Im gonna drop the tank tomorrow (Saturday) and see if thats the problem, if thats not the problem I might just part everything under the hood and let her sit for a few months or until I have the money for a even more exciting drivetrain...cause I really dont have the money to be trouble shooting ya know...thanks again

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
the motor is not shot, i would change the oil though. do you have a fuel filter connected? if not you may have sucked up all the dirt from the tank and plugged up the carb.

Barry 85 SS

Frequent Racer
Aug 8, 2005
Newport News, Va
What kind of carb do you have, if its a Holley, as someone mentioned you could have a blown power valve or you may be sucking some fuel from the charcoal canister. Unhook the canister and see if it changes anything. Oh, and check that oil for gas contamination.

monte87LS

Weekend Racer
Jan 29, 2008
Marlton,NJ
i have a Edelbrock 650cfm with electric choke...no charcole canister all that crap is gone...im about to go outside and drop the tank and see if I find something, i wanted to do a fuel cell one day anyway so once this tank comes down she's not goin back in, what sucks is its completely full of gas

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts