10 Bolt rear posi question, maybe blown or not...

406malibu78

Weekend Racer
Feb 10, 2012
pittsfield mass
The head gasket thing went bye bye,, I sold the teal 78 and sold the motor to a guy that was going to go thru it and let me know what he finds.. Have not heard back from him yet.. Im now working om my 81 malibu I just purchased black 350 super t-10 4 speed...

Damon

Pro Stocker
Feb 7, 2005
Philly Area
There's no real test for a gov-lock that I know of excapt to go out and lay down some black stripes on the road. If it lays down 2, it's working. If it lays down 1 it's not.

The weak link is the splines on the...... not sure what to call it...... the engagement collar. They strip out and it's game over. If you find a bunch of little 1/2" long slivers of metal in the bottom of the diff case, that's the splines.

FYI- the reason they call it a gov-lock is because it only works below ~30 MPH and under load. Above that speed or under little load it works like a regular open diff.

The factory gov-lock in my 454SS pickup didn't stand much of a chance against a built big block. Five launches and it was done. And that was in a much more stout corporate 14 bolt rear.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
For OEM ST-10s Borg Warner used to spec out GL5 lube with an MT1 sub spec because it works well with bronze snychros. IDK what that would equate to now...

Tommy

468malibu

Frequent Racer
Sep 13, 2003
Binghamton NY
Area where I am, we call that style locker a grenade lock. Fine for a driver, but I'd rather have an open rather than one of those, it's only a matter of time before they go. EVEN under normal driving. Buddy owns a junkyard and nearly every one that he's seen was junk.

That must be out of a newer car, used regular clutch style units in the late 70s/early 80s.

Only one that is decent is out of a 14 bolt full float. It doesn't use all the levers and crap that the others use. I used to have fun burning off some 33s on my old 97 2500HD...

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts