Best battery

k9

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
CHICAGO
What is the best battery out there for a non alternator system. I ran an Interstate last year but I dont actually know if I was getting enough juice. I need one that can hold a charge and charge quick between passes.

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
Yellow Optima, or if you have room, a Group 31 truck battery has an even better reserve capacity. Same size an an old Group 27.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I knda thought next to nobody still runs a total loss sytem. shrug.gif

Anyway, the G31 is good low buck or the Yeellow Optima, just like Goob said.

Tommy

A

Anonymous

LS6 Tommy said:
I knda thought next to nobody still runs a total loss sytem. shrug.gif

Anyway, the G31 is good low buck or the Yeellow Optima, just like Goob said.

Tommy

*ohh I do I do** So That makes 2 of us. Seriously though I am going with an alternator though.

Killermalibu

May 29, 2003
Litchfield NH
www.instagram.com
I bought a red top optima battery back when i had my shop in 99, it's still going WAY strong today inside of speedingpenguin (chris') malibu. probably been in I'd say close to 11 different cars, including 2 race cars and 1 that hit a wall and flipped over.

boyzbad

Top Fueler
Jul 28, 2004
Olathe, Ks
If you running an aftermarket ignition I'd highly reconsider. No matter what size battery you put in it by the time you start it in the lanes a few times and cycle your w/pump/fans your barely gonna have 12.5v. Do yourself a favor and get a newer cs style alt. and a bracket. Should set you back as much as the battery will cost you. With an alt. you'll pull at least 13.5+v down track. I'd go 16v with no alt. setup so the ignition always has 14+v to it. I think the discharged voltage of the 16v post is 14.2 or something.

From personal experience I ran single and dual batt. setups w/o an alt. for 2 years. I then put the alt. on it and picked up MPH due to the voltage loss. I also ran more consitant.

k9

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
CHICAGO
Agree with all of you. Here this: I am running a Moroso water pump drive. A local guy has a Powermaster low mount alternator kit for sale but I still have a steering box on my car so I dont see that working.What alternator kit can I use that will mount with this set up or should I just run belts the old fashion way. I dont want to be throwing belts every time out.

boyzbad

Top Fueler
Jul 28, 2004
Olathe, Ks
Moroso has a mid mount setup that doesn't interfere with the w/p. I've seen the low mount deals work with the steering box. I believe Alan Grove makes something that a few on the board are running. BTW get a newer style CS alt. as they are a little smaller in diameter and may fit better.

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
I moved my Moroso drive to the driver side, and used the stock long water pump bracket for the alternator, but hung it under instead of over, fabricated the adjustment arm from the upper mount with an axe and saw, use a Moroso 50% drive pulley for long water pump applications, and it all works fine.....can't run the fan on the alternator because of the adjustment arm, but you could do a better arm or just take the fan off the alternator.

I thought you have seen the pics.....

Copy and paste, I can't make it a link or image........

http://groups.msn.com/GoobsBracketRacingPlace/constructionanddetailspics.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=122

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts