Auto to Manual

mybu78

Dragway Regular
Nov 26, 2011
westminster,md 21157
Does anyone have any info on installing a clutch and brake pedal assembly in a 84 Olds Cutlass!It has a 3.8l v-6 auto (350turbo) in it right now,but converting it to a V-8(350 chevy and munsie m-20 4 speed) stick,have all the pieces I need ,just no instruction and the company that sold us the pedals has no instructions to give(the PartsPlace)!Mainly need to know where the clutch rod comes threw the firewall.Any pics or info on this would be awesome,can anyone HELP?I,ve replaced pedals many times in the past,just never a conversion like this!so any info is a big help.Thank's in advance !-John "MYBU78"

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
If the car has cruise control, the upper pushrod uses that hole; the cruise control harness has to move.

I have a good write-up with pictures that I did over 20 years ago:

If there isn't already cruise control, you will be able to find the screw hole dimples for the boot. The hole goes between the dimples.

Last edited by a moderator:

Firetruck1

Dragway Regular
Jan 3, 2013
Ocala Florida
T5, on your weight chart, you fail to mention the weight of the converter filled with fluid and the flywheel plus the associated shifter weight for the automatic, especially if the vehicle starts with a floor shifter. great write up by the way.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
The transmission weight was with the converter, if I remember correctly.

Yes, I am missing some parts and never got round to updating the table...I will add it to my to-do list. The main take-away from the data as it sits, is that the manual parts weigh less than the automatic parts.

Thanks for the kudos, it took some time to write it up. I wrote it about 10 years after doing the project.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts