afr 227's questions

noissesboyobyalp

Amateur Racer
Jan 8, 2009
suffolk, long island new york
i want to run these on my 406, but don't want to get into the shaft mount stuff. what is everyone's experiences with the offset lifters and rockers with a soilid roller? i AM going to drive the car on the street.

what is another set of good aluminum heads that is up there with those, trying to stay 23*

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
I asked AFR the same question. It really comes down to the cam and valve springs you will be using, the rpm range you are going for, and how the motor will be used.
Give AFR a call. Their tech guys are great.

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
i was going to use a set on my new 421 but was told i had to use a shaft rocker system and that added 1g onto the tab. the offset stud mount rockers are a definite no- no on the street. i went with brodix's new 227 track 1. the cnc version will flow [email protected]. and should easily support 650-675 hp

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
i dont know yet im still in build mode. hopefully be on the dyno sometime in december.

406Monte

Dragway Regular
Nov 30, 2007
Hubert, NC
I am not that familiar with heads, but why can't you run the offsets on the street? I must be missing something.

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
because...take a look at the geometry of the whole thing. your pushing on something that has an offset fulcrum point with over 500 pounds of pressure and its not centered....does that sound like a good plan? as the pushrod is pushing up on it its also pushing it over to one side putting alot of pressure on the needles and the stud. a girdle will stop any stud breakage but the needles will only take so much. i was told for race only it would last but for street driving its definitly not reccomended. my builder and a few others ive talked to said unless your gonna run the shaft rocker setup stay away from the afr 227. if you can afford the 1k rockers then go for it. plus with the 60/40 valve spacing depending on piston selection and lift numbers the pistons may have to be fly cut for p/v clearance.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts