700r4 help plz

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
Hey. I`m have one built for me soon. first upgrade the 3/4 clutch pack, Theres room for more clutches and steel plates. A Corvette servo for more holding power. A Trans Go 2-3 shift kit. A new converter from Dacco or Dynamic, They come with a factory stall of 2050 RPM. For a cheap stall converter the factory S10 I hear is a good one. Set the transmission up so the converter looks up in fourth gear only. Im going to use a toggle switch to manual unlock the converter if I want to. Doug

jking78

Weekend Racer
May 28, 2011
As you can see im not a transmission guy. What do you mean have the converter looks up in fourth gear only. And a switch to manual unlock.

jking78

Weekend Racer
May 28, 2011
I took tha 88 bacc and go one from a 84 truck

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
Hate to say it but, the 84 model 700R4 isn't a good choice. It has 27-Spline Input Shaft & doesn't have the Auxillary Valvebody or any of the Factory upgrades/improvements. Costs too much to swap/upgrade all the older parts.

The Lockup kit locks the TCC/TorqueConverterClutch. Installing a Toggle switch allows manual control of the TCC.
On the 84 model the TCC must be locked when cruising in 4th such as on the Freeway to prevent overheating the Trans. The 85up models got a design change so the TCC didn't have to be locked.
http://www.hughesperformance.com/pdfs/HP700-R4.pdf

jking78

Weekend Racer
May 28, 2011
Lol wow.... Ok Im not using it to race. Its my daily driver just want to rebuild it. But when i want tha extra power its there.

jking78

Weekend Racer
May 28, 2011
Ok tha transmission i have has three wires hanging from tha driver side i believe tha colors are yellow green and blue could this be for tha tcc. Plz say yes

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
Yes, those wires will be for the TCC Lockup.

Just trying to warn you before hand, the early models of these Trans had "lots" of problems and it took GM years to iron them out. The newer/later models have numerous factory upgrades which corrected most of the problems. You will be starting with a problem child that will need many fixes/corrections & many of them are not cheap..

jking78

Weekend Racer
May 28, 2011
Ok thx. I'll keep shopping then

jking78

Weekend Racer
May 28, 2011
Can i use hard parts from a 89 700r4 in a 84 case

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts